CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Snake active but not eating...

Old 01-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
kevindeeley12
Snake active but not eating...

Ok, it's been a while since I last logged onto this forum and I have tried searching a bit to find an answer but none really correlate exactly to what I am asking.

My snake is about 4 years old, full grown and active. But for the last 2-3 weeks he has not been pooping or eating. IT is the winter season and I have never had him in this season so I am thinking he could be hibernating in a sense.

What do you guys think?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Nanci
Well, if he was brumating, he wouldn't be very active. However, males will quite often go on hunger strike in the spring (and spring comes early for cornsnakes!!) and get more and more active as their instincts tell them to search for a mate. I would continue to offer food every two or three weeks. He could stop feeding for several months and be perfectly healthy. It's very distressing when it happens to you for the first time, though!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
kevindeeley12
Yeah i've been trying every week to see what's up but he hasn't been responding really. It is frustrating though.. Thanks though your answer gave me some information I was not too aware of (the early spring searching for a mate part ).

Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
sonofbry13
I have a female 6 month old snow corn that is doing the same thing. Its been over 3 weeks with no food. I've tried making it dance, dipping in chicken broth, leaving over night. No dice. She is super active and really friendly right now. For the first time last week I didn't have to get her out of the cage. Just put my hand in and she crawled right out. How long can they go with out food before I need to worry? I've seen her drink. Also when I put the pinkie in her cage she checks it out and looks interested but then just moves on.

Any advice? Would a young snake go on a hunger strike as well?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
bitsy
I'd think that 6 months was far too young to go on a breeding season hunger strike, plus this behaviour is typical of males rather than females.

My first thought is to double-check the temperature at the warm side, on the floor surface. Too hot or too cold can mean problems with digestion and this can be enough to put young ones off eating.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
benjim
The size off the mouse could be the problem, has he/she moved on to a different size?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Susan
Sometimes when a snake goes on a hunger strike, such as males during the breeding season, to make sure they get a little nutrition and to relieve my fears, an overly tempting morsel is usually not passed up. For adults, a live rat pink/fuzzy pup usually does the trick. For a smaller snakes, again, something small and live (pinky or fuzzy) often can't be refused.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
sonofbry13
I have a herpstat set up on the warm side that regulates the temperature constantly. I thought maybe a digestion problem so I gave her a bath which helped her use the bathroom. Only took five minutes for her to go.

I'm still feeding her the smallest pinkies. I've tried the bigger pinkies and she doesn't take them. Here head is still rather small and she's pretty slender.

I'll have to give the live pinkie a try if she wont take the F/T for now. I just don't want to get in the habit of using live. Seems a big hassle and a little sketchy for the snake. I guess a live pinkie really couldn't do any damage like an adult mouse.

How long can a young snake go before its a serious issue?

Thanks for all the responses.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
Jay633
Try placing your snake in a small container with two f/t pinkies and leave it in there. Worked for me when my lil guy had no interest in food

Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
sonofbry13
Thank you, I think that is my next move. I tried chicken broth last night and when I checked on her this morning it was still there. Did you heat the small container?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google