• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How much is to much water. Dehydrated snake

Willow771

I went away for a few days. Soloman had water in a dish and when i came back her water was gone and she is severly dehydrated. It wasnt sypposed to be that hot but with the heat lately it must have gotten REALLy hot in her Viv(no her UTH isnt on). I gave her a fresh dish of water and she wont stop drinking. She just burys her head in the water past her nostrils and just gulps it up. Can to much water kill her? how much is to much water...should i take her bowl away for a little while and give it back later?

I would recomend leaving the water there. She will stop when she has enough, she's obviously a thirsty girl.

Is it okay that she full submerges herself? head and all? when she comes out she opens and shuts her mouth a few times. blows water out of her nose then rubs her nose on the edge of the bowl. shes never bothered to drink infront of me before so i dontknow whats normal and whats not

I felt really bad for my amel girl a few weeks ago. I cleaned her viv while she was eating and I put her bowl back in with the intention of filling it with the watering can...oops, forgot.

Long story short, I woke up in the middle of the night about 4 days later realising what I'd done (amazing how the subconscious workd!) and the next morning gave her some water....she burried her face up to her eyes and just gulped! I felt soo bad for forgetting but she's none the worse. She ate a couple of days after that like a champ and ate again yesterday so I figure she's fine. She has a moist hide so she gets some ambient humidity but didn't have water for 5 days...bad mummy me :eek1:

The nose rubbing is normal, she is just wiping the water from her nose that feels strange to her. When she opens and closes her mouth she is swallowing, and/or taking a breath after submerging her head. She is doing what she should, all is fine from what you have typed.

OK....Phew....And unlike after eating...is she ok to hold after all that water? or should i just leave her alone for the day?

She seems much perkier now. thank goodness.

So what now?

*lol* Relax you are doing great. I would let that water stay in her for a while for 2 reasons I can think of right now (sheesh, I'm thinking);
1) she may "spill" it then have to start all over again,
2) let her rest after the stress of being so thirsty.
She will be her usual self in the morning.

Back