CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Cohabbing Misfortunes.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #171
susang
Oh! why do people do that if you say something at least defend it or don't say it, but to delete it, eh.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #172
SnakeAround
Maybe he got scared

Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #173
epicdoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
Sadly I think some people just don't get. The unfortunate thing is some new person will come along and read "if all the above cautions are observed". They don't read the rest of the thread or really understand those cautions.
True Susang. I don't cohab not because I have room and don't need to, but because I feel snakes are more solitary type creatures. I have come across more wild snakes then most folks have seen tame, being I'm in the woods more then 9 months out of the year. with the exception of breeding snakes I have never seen 2 together. Does this mean they don't enjoy company from time to time, Who knows for certain they cant tell us. I tend to let what I see tell me. someone mentioned regurges this is a serious problem with cohabing snakes if all feed the same day, 2 days pass no more lump then Who did it becomes a mystery at best. This is a problem for a friend of mine who has 3 tanks 4 snakes each. his snakes regurge possibly due to the stress of living together I know he doesn't touch them after feeding for 4 days not even to freshen water still at least one will regurge every snake he owns has done it at one point or another. That being said I do notice when i go there all his snakes are under the same hide. My thought on that is its where they need to be since its always on the warm side. If they all need to be warm it stands to reason they will all be there. So far none of his snakes have eaten one another but he has lost a few to regurge issues. He cant afford to have 12 tanks and wouldn't have room for it anyhow. Since he has 20L tanks and small snakes I suggested he section them off even using cardboard would work it would give his snakes some time to get out of regurging while he saved the money to build a rack I have a small rack for hatchlings I just completed, it can hold 18 snakes and is only 4 foot long 1 foot wide and 1.5 foot tall that's just a little larger then a 20L I am going to bring him to my house this weekend to show it to him total price to build including heating tape and tubs $120.00. I will post pics when I get it all set up and running will be in the DIY section full Material and price list. Hopefully i can talk him into letting me build one for him.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #174
Christen
Just to ad I do agree with the points that have been brought up. The cage at 4x1 is far to small. If you see one of my post towards the beginning of this thread the tank that I used was about 6ftx20inx2ft. And that was just for 2 snakes as well.

The other point of how do you know that the snakes like it, is right on the money as well. During my experiment of co-habbing the snakes lived together with no issues with the other however because they had a large area with many similar hides they chose not to be in the same one. They didn't cuddle or share a space unless they were passing by each other. Or once I did see they drinking out of the same bowl.

With everything I have seen they sometimes will live together if forced, but why do it if they are perfectly happy and healthy being separate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
Oh! why do people do that if you say something at least defend it or don't say it, but to delete it, eh.
I don't know. It is very frustrating.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #175
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Photographic evidence of cohabbing problems:
Good god. How long would that take to digest? Would it most likely end with a regurge?

Old 08-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #176
MegF.
This is an old thread but in cases like that most of the time both animals die....it would regurge but more often it just dies from eating too much.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #177
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegF. View Post
This is an old thread but in cases like that most of the time both animals die....it would regurge but more often it just dies from eating too much.
Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't see the date on the last post until after I posted mine. Thanks for replying anyway. No need for further response. Thread can go back into the grave now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google