CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

RI Treatment (How-to)

Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Dakafall
RI Treatment (How-to)

So I decided to do my own little write up with pictures on how I decided to treat a couple of snakes with RIs

I started out by getting vicks vapor rub and eucalyptus tree oil ($5 at whole foods) and a couple cups water put into the microwave to boil.

While I let my water start to boil I went and retrieved the 2 sick snakes and 2 snake bags to put them in for treatment (small individual tubs with holes drilled in them would also work, anything that allows air transfer while containing the snake) and also a larger tub to stage everything in.

After the snakes were secured my water was also done in the microwave. I used about 2 cups of boiling water, 3-5 drips of eucalyptus oil, and half a teaspoon of vicks. I stirred all the ingredients together in the measuring cup, and if you're feeling at all stuffed up yourself at this point, take a wiff, and put it back into the microwave for 45 more seconds to get it boiling again.

Next, being VERY VERY careful to not spill boiling water on the snakes, I placed the water/vicks/oil mixture into the larger tub with the snakes and placed the lid on for 5 minutes

I checked them at the 5 minute mark and put the water back into the microwave to boil to increase the steam factor and set it back in the tub for 5 more minutes. After those 5 minutes are up, you're done

While I was putting away the JCP, big girl decided she wanted a photo shoot so I had to oblige lol

I didn't have any sick corns other wise I would have used them for this writeup, but there's no doubt in my mind this wouldn't work on a corn as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Christen
You should never microwave water or any pure liquids for the matter. I can get so hot that it doesn't actually boil. Then when you disturb the liquid it will explode in your face. It happened to my Aunt and severely burnt her.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
P.Guttatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalchow View Post
You should never microwave water or any pure liquids for the matter. I can get so hot that it doesn't actually boil. Then when you disturb the liquid it will explode in your face. It happened to my Aunt and severely burnt her.
Sorry to hear about your Aunt.
Water that has few impurities, like distilled and some bottled waters, can become super heated and boil explosively. Tap water usually has lots of impurities and is usually safe to boil via the microwave (I have been doing it for years). If you are really worried, you can put a wooden chopstick in the water, this gives the water a nucleation point to create bubbles and promote boiling when it reaches 212 degrees(@sea level) and prevent superheated water.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Carinata
I would be very cautious treating snakes with a human grade medication (over the counter or not). It's just not safe in my eyes.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
P.Guttatus
Just wondering if anyone else other than Dakafall has used this kind of treatment for snake RI's. Been skulking around this site for a while, and this is the first post I've seen refer to this kind of treatment. Usually the recommendations are a vet trip, decrease humidity, keep tank clean, raise temperature, etc.

P.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Christen
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Guttatus View Post
Sorry to hear about your Aunt.
Water that has few impurities, like distilled and some bottled waters, can become super heated and boil explosively. Tap water usually has lots of impurities and is usually safe to boil via the microwave (I have been doing it for years). If you are really worried, you can put a wooden chopstick in the water, this gives the water a nucleation point to create bubbles and promote boiling when it reaches 212 degrees(@sea level) and prevent superheated water.
With my Aunt it was tap water and she actually did have a wooden spoon in the cup it was the wooden spoon that moved and caused the liquid to displace. I personally think that telling someone it is ok to do something even though we know there is a risk even if it is slight is a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Guttatus View Post
Just wondering if anyone else other than Dakafall has used this kind of treatment for snake RI's. Been skulking around this site for a while, and this is the first post I've seen refer to this kind of treatment. Usually the recommendations are a vet trip, decrease humidity, keep tank clean, raise temperature, etc.

P.
To be honest I have heard this from other people as well and they state that it works. I do have my reserved feelings about it as well because like Carinata said along with these products are made out of oils that we know can be harmful to our snakes. I personally will stick with going to the vet.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Carinata
As I said treating your snake with human medications is not smart. Take your snake to the vet, they'll prescribe Ceftazidime or Metronidazole. Keep the humidity down, the heat up. Stress the snake as little as possible.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
bitsy
An RI is just that - a Respiratory Infection. To my mind, infections need antibiotics or at least vet monitoring. Snakes + boiling water alone sounds like a recipe for potential disaster. Never mind the use of human-safe treatments and oils which we're normally advised to avoid near our snakes.

I'm glad it's worked for some and that the method is there for others to try if they want to. Personally I wouldn't risk it with any of mine.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Dakafall
Well, after checking on them after work here, the JCPs is all cleared up and the Hog defiantly sounds a lot better, still noticing a few tiny bubbles in her mouth, but not near like what it was before treatment. Snake bytes actually uses a very similar method, but they use a zoomed fogger and a product called F10

Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
Carinata
F10 and Vicks are much different. I'm would be willing to bet your snakes are not all cleared up. I would really suggest taking it to a vet...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google