CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

How hard should a corn feel?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
hypnoctopus
How hard should a corn feel?

I guess I don't know any better way to phrase that! Two my corn snakes are both around the same age and they're both about the same length as well. However, I had them both out at the same time yesterday and I realized that one of them has a harder body and the other one is softer. Is that just a difference in how muscular they are? Both snakes get taken out about the same amount, but the harder one is much more active and she's often cruising around her tank.

Both snakes eat, shed, poop, and drink, so I'm not concerned - just curious!

Here's a picture of them (it's very difficult to photograph two snakes!)

Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Oh, and they're around the same weight as well.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
BloodyBaroness
It's probably a muscle tone difference. As long as they are not limp/floppy/flabby it's okay. At this age, they are still filling out and might be maturing at different rates.

Out of my collection, the tub cruising snakes seem more toned and the less active are a bit rounder. Kind of like people, lol!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
It's probably a muscle tone difference. As long as they are not limp/floppy/flabby it's okay. At this age, they are still filling out and might be maturing at different rates.

Out of my collection, the tub cruising snakes seem more toned and the less active are a bit rounder. Kind of like people, lol!
The softer one will come out at night and just hang on his branch; the harder one will be going all over the place! :P

Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
BloodyBaroness
You could maybe try a little swimming, but at this age, I would just see how he matures.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
You could maybe try a little swimming, but at this age, I would just see how he matures.
Of my three snakes, he's actually the only one who seems to not mind being in the water. Thanks for the input!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Optreptiles
The soft one probably just has some more fat deposits than the other one. My cornsnakes are sort of the same way. One is constantly cruising and flopping all over the place, and the other just likes to hang out in her hide all day. If you are concerned, you could try holding the softer one more often, or letting him/her swim around in a bathtub as another poster suggested. Also, making her work for her food by dangling it around with tongs might help as well, as long as he/she isn't freaked out by it...

Old 06-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optreptiles View Post
The soft one probably just has some more fat deposits than the other one. My cornsnakes are sort of the same way. One is constantly cruising and flopping all over the place, and the other just likes to hang out in her hide all day. If you are concerned, you could try holding the softer one more often, or letting him/her swim around in a bathtub as another poster suggested. Also, making her work for her food by dangling it around with tongs might help as well, as long as he/she isn't freaked out by it...
Thanks for the ideas! He's a great eater - maybe I'll make him 'hunt' for his food more often.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
ceduke
There's some natural variation. All of my corns are in pretty good shape, but my coral snow is SUPER muscular! I don't really understand it, as she's always hiding, but she's buff, LoL.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
dave partington
I've noticed differences particularly in growing babies/juvies. They seem to go through phases of getting fatter, and then stretching lengthwise awhile, and then repeat both steps over, and over...Maybe the softer one is going thru a fatty/thickening growth stage at the moment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google