CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

SRCORNS.COM Hatchling Thread (2015)

Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #51
steve roylance
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxorW View Post
The redcoat lava lavender joe produced was female, I had to do a double-take because female lava lavenders aren't particularly colorful and this one had way more peachy ground color than any male I've seen. But I do have a male lava lavender produced by Steve that is super colorful, one of my favorite corns in my collection.
Do you have a pic of the one you got from me?

Old 08-31-2015, 06:50 PM   #52
DuxorW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
How would you tell?
It would be a pain in the butt.

First I'd just make some assumptions based on the fact that red factor seems dominant and redcoat is recessive.

I assume that a het red factor het redcoat will just look like a red factor (although sometimes recessive traits make themselves detectable in het form in the presence of other mutations, but it probably doesn't in this case if someone crossed them and thought they were incompatible).

A super red factor het redcoat should just look like a super red factor.

My expectation is that a het red factor homo redcoat would be redder than either a het red factor or homo redcoat. I'd expect a super red factor homo redcoat to be even redder, if that's possible.

I'd breed a red factor (a het not a super) to a redcoat, and hold back the red factor offspring, who would be visually obvious. They would carry one copy of red factor and one copy of redcoat. I would breed these animals to a homo redcoat, hopefully there would be animals that stand out as even redder than red coats and red factors. Those would hopefully be het red factor homo redcoat. You would need to breed those to a redcoat and get all redcoat offspring to prove that your suspected red factor redcoat was indeed homozygous redcoat. Breeding it to a normal should give 50% red factors het redcoat. If you got those results you'd know your animal carries one red factor allele (het red factor) and is homozygous redcoat. And hopefully it would be extremely red! It would suck if one red factor allele masked two redcoat alleles.

I wouldn't breed the het red factor het redcoat offspring together to test the theory because then your reddest offspring might be super red factor redcoats, and it would be hard to confirm that they were redcoat because when you mate them to a redcoat, if all the offspring are redder than normal it could be because the parent was homo red factor or homo redcoat or both, and disentangling them would be difficult.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #53
MysticExotics
Quote:
It would be a pain in the butt.

First I'd just make some assumptions based on the fact that red factor seems dominant and redcoat is recessive.

I assume that a het red factor het redcoat will just look like a red factor (although sometimes recessive traits make themselves detectable in het form in the presence of other mutations, but it probably doesn't in this case if someone crossed them and thought they were incompatible).

A super red factor het redcoat should just look like a super red factor.

My expectation is that a het red factor homo redcoat would be redder than either a het red factor or homo redcoat. I'd expect a super red factor homo redcoat to be even redder, if that's possible.

I'd breed a red factor (a het not a super) to a redcoat, and hold back the red factor offspring, who would be visually obvious. They would carry one copy of red factor and one copy of redcoat. I would breed these animals to a homo redcoat, hopefully there would be animals that stand out as even redder than red coats and red factors. Those would hopefully be het red factor homo redcoat. You would need to breed those to a redcoat and get all redcoat offspring to prove that your suspected red factor redcoat was indeed homozygous redcoat. Breeding it to a normal should give 50% red factors het redcoat. If you got those results you'd know your animal carries one red factor allele (het red factor) and is homozygous redcoat.

I wouldn't breed the het red factor het redcoat offspring together to test the theory because then your reddest offspring might be super red factor redcoats, and it would be hard to confirm that they were redcoat because when you mate them to a redcoat, if all the offspring are redder than normal it could be because the parent was homo red factor or homo redcoat or both, and disentangling them would be difficult.
Haha! This is why I'm not working with RC and I only focus on RF.

I cannot find the thread I was looking for, that explains what bob did in testing both RF and RC (as well as together).

Old 08-31-2015, 07:02 PM   #54
DuxorW
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve roylance View Post
Do you have a pic of the one you got from me?
I do and will dig it out shortly, it's the least I can do after what I do to your hatchling threads. He's currently in shed. I also have a peppermint from you that is much redder than most, that I can post as well (she's my other favorite).

Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 PM   #55
DuxorW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Haha! This is why I'm not working with RC and I only focus on RF.

I cannot find the thread I was looking for, that explains what bob did in testing both RF and RC (as well as together).
I feel you. I have a suspected red factor, and by luck acquired a redcoat lava okeetee ph sunkissed (the most hateful corn in existence), so I might as well take advantage of her redcoat, especially if I can get some redcoat stuff from Steve.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:05 PM   #56
steve roylance
Quote:
I do and will dig it out shortly, it's the least I can for after what I do to your hatchling threads. He's currently in shed. I also have a peppermint from you that is much redder than most, that I can post as well (she's my other favorite).
Nice!! I'm working on RC Cinders and RC Kastanies in the near future. Actually might see the results next season.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #57
DuxorW
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve roylance View Post
Nice!! I'm working on RC Cinders and RC Kastanies in the near future. Actually might see the results next season.
I bet redcoat will be great for cinders, as I love when their brick red tones come through. Some of mine have it, some don't. I think the peppermint I got from you will make great cinder/peppermint tesseras. Many peppermints are a paler pink, and I wonder if that's because they were crossed into Miami lines, and it somehow made them paler/pinker. I know Walter's are pink and descended from Carol's, which she had crossed into her Miami lines (athough I don't know where your cinder lines came from). I like both types of peppermints, though.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #58
Bullelk
Iiiiittt's begun!

Old 08-31-2015, 07:25 PM   #59
DuxorW
This doesn't do him justice but it's all I have until he sheds. Lava lavender male I got from Steve earlier this year.

Compared to a female lava lavender (Joe Pierce bred). If all goes well she may be producing lava lavender tesseras next season!

Red peppermint (2014) from Steve

And may as well throw in this 2013 orchid from Steve, enjoying some sun.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:36 PM   #60
DuxorW
I want to add that Steve's animals are 5000x prettier in reality than in my cheap cell phone photos.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google