CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

He's such a pig!!! Is this ok!?

Old 08-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
caitlinandstu
Question He's such a pig!!! Is this ok!?

Ah, Benny...my little piggy. Last week my husband goes to Petco (don't ya just know they are gonna screw something up?!) to get fuzzies because we were pretty sure Benny was ready to move up from pinkies...turns out she sold us a full grown mouse! And he ate it!!! Now I know that we sound terribly irresponsible for not being able to tell the difference, but I guess I foolishly expected them to know what they were talking about...

I went back today to get more "fuzzies", and could obviously spot the mistake as soon as she showed me what real fuzzies looked like...I guess I just want to make sure he isn't eating too much for his size/age/etc., but he didn't seem to have any problems with the one last week....Actually he scarfed it down immediatly and with a vigor he had been lacking with the pinkies...I checked the whole 1.5 times his width deal and it pretty much works out...At 5 months, 2 feetish long is my baby just hungry or is he a freak(in the most endearing way possible)!?!

Old 08-04-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
colinmcc
If they are OK sizewise, ie. no more than 1.5 times his widest point - which you've checked, then there is no reason he can't eat them.

Full growns at 5 months is pretty far ahead of the game, but if he measures up .....

You do get a lot of variation in what gets sold as a 'full grown' mind you. I've had full growns 3 times the size of the ones I have in the freezer just now. My big adult male LOVED those!

Old 08-04-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
larryg
At 15 inches long I would have moved up from pinkies to fuzzies, and by 24 inches he's probably ready for hoppers. Pinkies are like baby food, in my opinion, and they are only good as a 'starter food.' It doesn't surprise me to hear the snake seems to enjoy the fuzzies more than the pinkies. At 2 feet, your snakes has LONG since outgrown pinkies. If Petco sells hoppers, I'd get those next time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google