CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

the saga continues........

Old 02-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #11
Roy Munson
Have you tried live yet? I've had a number of snakes that required live "kick-start" feedings now and then. If you normally thaw f/t in hot water, have you tried dry-thawing? I'd try these things before going to more extreme/expensive measures.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
Susan
Are the pinkies you are feeding at home from the same source as those fed at the store? Sometimes, a snake can tell the difference and take an instant dislike to one kind. Try getting pinkies from the store to see if your snake will eat them at home for you like it did at the store.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #13
kathylove
Since it ate recently at the shop, try to think of any different environmental factor that is different at home, but you haven't thought of. Maybe even something seemingly silly, like being in a darker or brighter room, or who knows?

Confining it with a pink in a small deli or lunch bag inside the cage does focus their attention. But I would be wary of putting it on top of a heating pad (as suggested earlier), since the snake can't escape and could get "cooked" if it was a little too warm.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:07 AM   #14
diamondlil
Having no luck finding live pinkies so far, nor lizard maker, but can travel to the shop next week to get the lizard scent and/or frozen pinkies if it will help.
In the shop Lil was in large heated cabinet in rack with lunchbox size tub, so she is now in lunchbox inside her bigger tub as that is the closest I can get to replicating that setup. There is less traffic because she is in my bedroom rather than in shop, but I thought the lighting may be a factor, it must be duller than in the shop with it's flurescent lights.
The really frustrating thing is that after her recovering from regurgitating and eating voluntarily I thought she was going to be ok. not sure of her hatch date, but when I got her in late Nov she had had at least 2 feeds with her breeder (I assume), 3 with the shop (definately) 1 before her regurges (thanks again Kathy for the e-mail), and 2 more before the hunger strike, 2 at the shop. So she has had at most 10 sucessful feeds which gives me some hope that she still has a chance.
Have read some of the threads from breeders and the 3-strikes policy and understand there are very good reasons for it, but Lil not a future breeder in any circumstances, what I am aiming for is a happy healthy pet for the next 15-20 years, and am so grateful that people on here are so ready to help us.
Other snakes all feeding well still, Buck my hypo did a perfect shed last week that I am stil showing off to all family and friends and he is the brightest ginger ever.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #15
kathylove
I have had several customers who got babies from me that were feeding great on f/t, but refused them at the customer's place. After a couple of weeks, I always suggest tempting them (the snakes, not the customers!) with a live pink. In a few cases, they couldn't find live pinks and the snakes continued to refuse. So they really went out of their way, a couple of them even buying a pregnant female mouse and waiting for babies. Lo and behold! Most of the time they scarfed up the live pinks like they were starved! After a few live pinks, they went back to f/t. I don't know why.

Now I make a point to tell customers that they MUST have a back up plan, just in case the baby insists on a few live to "prime" him. Most of the time they will continue on f/t, but sometimes you just have to find a source of live, even if just for a little while.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #16
diamondlil
Thank you again Kathy! If Lil doesn't feed this week will definately try the live pinky by hook or by crook. It will cause uproar from my boys as we have successfully bred gerbils in the past and they have an elderly pet mouse who's stinky bedding I am going to try to scent the f/t pinky next. Here's the naughty girl;

Old 02-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #17
diamondlil
syringe-fed

I went to local petshop, heart hammering, and asked for a live pinky. Thankfully have been using the shop for pet supplies for years, and sold gerbil, guinea pig and zebra finch babies to them, even getting powdered milk for syringe feeding some rejected gerbils, so was not regarded as the murderer I expected. They had some babies but they are peach fuzzies already, however the assisstant used to keep garters and ball pythons so she explained tube feeding in detail.
Came home and tried it straight away, got 3 mls of chicken puree into Lil using a syringe, was all I had to hand, if this stays inside her will try blenderised mouse in 3 days or so, am just hoping this will work for now.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:03 AM   #18
diamondlil
Smile

No smell of regurge yet, will check Lil after work tonight, am hopeful that at least the chicken stayed inside, will blenderise mouse next!

Old 02-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #19
diamondlil
ok, Lil seems to have digested the pureed raw chicken, so now have a question that may be daft, but when I just tried to blend a whole adult mouse, cannot get smooth puree that will syringe so easily. Any tips? Chopped the mouse up as fine as possible first. would it be ok to use the chicken with added vitamins instead if I can't get the mouse to the right consistency? blending mouse made me feel like but is for Lil, after all

Old 02-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #20
larryg
Try to feed it a live peach fuzzy or even fuzzy. Do you not realize that the snake can go for at least a month or two months before you need to even start worrying? Sorry, but the woman at the pet shop sounds like a moron, and it sounds like you were given grossly incorrect advice.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google