CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Length Weight Age Averages

Old 08-05-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
Cam5
Question Length Weight Age Averages

I have found a lot of information on keeping track and how to measure the length and weight of cornsnakes.

I am wanting to know if there are any charts showing the averages for a corns age to height/weight ratio?

Also, I keep people commenting that so and so's snake "looks over weight" how can you tell?

For example when our kids go to the doctor they are lets say 5 years old, 42 inches and 40 pounds. Which means for his age he is in the 90% for height and weight (this is just random numbers and percentiles). Where as if he were 5 years old, 42 inches and 36 pounds there would be cause for concern.
This is all plotted on a bell curve in the chart so even if they a re not "average" you can see if they are in line with themselves per sey overall.

I know they will fluctuate based on if they have just eaten, if they are off food etc. but it would be great to have this as a guide.

Thank you....always learning

Old 08-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Corny Noob
Unfortunatly there is no percentile chart. It's more visual by just looking at a 3 year old snake and saying gee it looks skinny when you can see it's spine, or gee it looks fat when you can see fatty deposit "hips" down by the vent.
Due to genetics, our husbandry, if the snake eats in blue etc they're all gonna grow at different weights.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Tula_Montage
Thing is, theres no average weight for age and length. I have an 06 that weighs 35 grams and an 06 that weighs over 200 grams. I think it entirley depends on your feeding regimes.

Then you have to consider genetically small corns and genetically big corns. You can feed a genetically small corn all you want and it may never exceed 300 grams, 3ft. Or you could underfeed a genetically big corn, breed it and still produce huge babies that carry the "big gene". Its all down the individual corn snake and how you decide to feed it.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Cam5
Thumbs up

I did not realize there was such variation. I appreciate the "visual" description. Since ours neither has spine nor bones showing I will assume he is about where he should be....even with his food strike.

Thank you very much!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
bill38112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage
Thing is, theres no average weight for age and length. I have an 06 that weighs 35 grams and an 06 that weighs over 200 grams.
First, I'm not trying to offend anyone here. I got my butt handed to me over on the retic forum for this opinion, but I'm going to restate it anyway.

There certainly is an average weight and length for a corn snake, just like there is an average weight and height for humans. The problem is we, as a group, don't really practice very disciplined record keeping. So we don't know what the average weight or length is. I put this off on the fact that our hobby is very young. What kind of surprises me is that only a small percentage of breeders seem to be interested in keeping records.

I see lots of reasons for keeping such records. One is to gauge health. Nothing tells you something is wrong like a loss of weight. Another is to know which of my females and males consistently hatch bigger babies. But nothing beats because I just want to know one more thing about my snakes.

Now for those of you who have measured and weighed every snake every month, I know you're out there, but you are a minority. More importantly, you haven't shared your data. Where are the graphs and charts? lol. OK, I admit I'm a data freak, but noting builds credibility like having research on your hobby. Just my two cents.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
Cam5
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill38112
First, I'm not trying to offend anyone here. I got my butt handed to me over on the retic forum for this opinion, but I'm going to restate it anyway.

I am hoping your bum was presented on a silver platter at least

I think you are on track with your opinion. It is a young "hobby" "business" comparitively speaking to that of the world of dog breeding for example. Through record keeping dog breeders have been able to breed for health, looks and temperament more successfully. For example 2 blue merle Aussies are likely to produce pups with health problems...it was also determined that dalmations with white ears are most likely to have deafness as an issue...this of course was all discovered via tracking, sharing information and conversation amongst the breeders and the AKC (american kennel club).
So this forum kind of serves as the NCC ( national corn club ).

Now for those of you who have measured and weighed every snake every month, I know you're out there, but you are a minority. More importantly, you haven't shared your data. Where are the graphs and charts? lol. OK, I admit I'm a data freak, but noting builds credibility like having research on your hobby.
Are you an engineer by chance?

Just my two cents.
Thank you for the 2 cents

Old 08-06-2007, 02:33 AM   #7
desertanimal
I weigh my snakes every month, maybe more often, but I don't measure them. I think that's a pain in the neck. And I've got graphs of their weight progressions. All the 05 are on one, the 06s on another, and then my one 07. And I have feed records too. But in order to really compare apples to apples, we'd need weights AND lengths of the snakes, plus feed frequencies AND prey weights. Not every fuzzy weighs the same as every other one. And I don't weigh my prey items. My system works really well to compare snakes at my house to each other, but my records wouldn't be useful for comparing my snakes to those at anyone else's.

Cam5, what people say is that the cross-sectional shape of your snake should roughly match that of a loaf of bread. It should be flat on the bottom and pretty flat on the sides, and rounded on the top. If your snake's spine is sticking out, it would look triangular on the top. If your snake is rounded on the sides, it's either a female who's ovulating or gravid, or a snake that is carrying a little more weight than is optimal.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:06 AM   #8
Jillie
I weigh my snakes just befor I feed them each week. I also measure there shed each time and plot this all down on a chart. I know the shed size doesn't actually give me there real size but it does help me each time to see overall if they have grown much etc. I also do this monthly for my friends 3 snakes. Although they are all growing at different rates it just helps me. I also keep a chart of what they are fed each week how much the pinkies fuzzies weigh etc. I must be chart mad lol

Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
Cam5
Cam5, what people say is that the cross-sectional shape of your snake should roughly match that of a loaf of bread. It should be flat on the bottom and pretty flat on the sides, and rounded on the top. If your snake's spine is sticking out, it would look triangular on the top. If your snake is rounded on the sides, it's either a female who's ovulating or gravid, or a snake that is carrying a little more weight than is optimal.[/quote]

I am a very visual person, so this explanation is spot on. He used to be rounded, now he's a beautiful blacka nd white and golden loaf

Good points made about weighing the prey items as well.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
ssmith_1187
Quote:
Where are the graphs and charts?
Good morning Bill!!!

I don't measure the length of my snake, but I do weight her and her prey item every 5 days when I feed her.

I think record keeping is very valuable. I had a regurge and found she hadn’t lost much weight, plus it’s helping me determine when to move her up in prey size (according to the Munson Plan).

Regards,
Steve

P.S. Do you really want to see the graphs of Roxanne’s prey items as well as her growth chart

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google