CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

# of females to a male

Old 09-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
ghosthousecorns
# of females to a male

I've got a 20 long that I decided to put mice in. There is a lot more room than in a 10 gallon so I have 1.7 mice in there. But I am wondering is that too much for one male to handle? Or will he just be a happy tired male mouse? I usually keep them in 1.3 or 1.4 groups.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Buzzard
I have 2 tanks set up at 1:10 and they do awesome. Now these are set up for pinkie only production.( I cull 1/2 at day one and 1/2 at day 5-6 ) The only issue I run into with my larger colonies is that they seem to all give birth within a week or so of each other. Which means, I have almost 100 pinkies to deal with in a 2 week period of time, then its 2-3 weeks before anyone else has anymore. I rather them scatter them out a little more, but beggers cannot be choosers.

Are you inquiring just because of the tank size, or do you have certain plans for the larger colony?

Old 09-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
torsten
I have 2 large tanks with 1:~15 and that is fine so 1:10 should be fine.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
CrousesCorns
I used to be a 1.5 up to 1.7. Now I am constantly at 1.10 and everything seems to happen and be just the same as smaller numbers, well except the offspring counts are higher.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
ghosthousecorns
Well part of it is pinkie production but the male I put in there is kind of pretty, He is satin and piebald so I was hoping to get some more like him. But yea mostly for pinkies. Sounds like I could actually have a couple more females in there if I wanted then. I was just wondering if the male would be a bit overwhelmed with that many females.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
samatwwe
I just put 1:6 fancy mice in a 20L like three weeks ago, how long does anyone know until they will start breeding/having litters?
Thanks.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
wade
Jen, it is in the male’s genetic make up to make being overwhelmed by females highly unlikely. The deciding factor for me is how often do I want to clean. If you have 7 females in there it is possible to have 105 hoppers in there. That will require frequent cleaning.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
ghosthousecorns
Wade I looked at your post 2 or 3 times. I am flabbergasted that you actually gave me a kinda serious answer. What gives, if this post isn't begging for a bit of Wadean humor I don't know what is.

Thanks for the input. I am not worried about hoppers they won't live that long unless somebody buys these 09 off me fast LOL.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
wade
I just reread my post and you're right Jen, I'm sorry.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
dwyn127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
I am wondering is that too much for one male to handle?
No way baby!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google