• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

i need some advice help :(

DarkSmoke I just want to clarify, did he regurge or not because you wrote...."i think he regurged again".

Was it a visible mouse part? Did it smell? Was it clearly NOT poop?

If so then yes you need to take that snake to the vet, there must be something going on that is causing the repeat regurges, esp. with such tiny meals. You will need to give them very detailed information regarding the snakes housing, including the improper temps and the size of meals.

I recall the one of the members here offered that if you sent them the money for the NutriBac they would get it to you there in Malta.

The only other thing I can think of for this snake is as Kathy Love had suggested. Try a probiotic, either NutriBac or a human one, use a syringe and give it mixed with some water, then feed a liquid diet of egg yolk for food and protein. It is possible that at this point the snake has regurged so many times that it's esophagus has damage and it can not handle solid food. It may require a liquid diet for some time to allow for internal repair. Then trying the regurge protocol again.

I am very sorry to hear that Blaze may have regurged again!

I agree...

It doesn't sound as though you are sure it is a regurge. But if it IS a regurge after the tiny meals and all you have done for temps and stress, etc, then these are my only suggestions to possibly save it:

1. Nutri Bac and a liquid diet of small amounts of egg yolk, liquefied ferret food, or some other appropriate liquid diet.

2. Medication that is prescribed by a vet, maybe for some infection or parasite load that will probably be determined by a stool check or possibly some kind of stomach wash and evaluation, or whatever else the vet decides is needed.

I can't really think of anything else to add.

Hope you are able to save the poor thing!

Temps were good from the last regurg. Im considering taking him to the vet since i called him last week to see if he sees snakes. and i didn't love his way of talking and i expect from malta since reptiles aint that common.

He told me to bring him temps, when i asked him if he can do a test for any germs all he said was "just brin him here and will see" in maltese like his aim is the money. now i don't want to go to a vet wich will tell me the same things that guys told me here and pay money for it or give me some bad advice and waste money and more over risk the snakes health. but i want the advice of you people, should i still take the snake to the vet without knowing how much good he is on snakes ?
also , what is best , trying the yolk diet first or take it to the vet?
another thing i will have the money by 8th february is there a risk of dead if left unfed till then ?

also , the "regurg" looked a bit like poop but it didnt have the white urates as usual with it , also it had some pink stuff wich is the usual with it like the regurgs tough i know it could be just not totally digested food. there was no smell somehow from all the regurgs i never was able to smell the great bad smell everyone talks about here but maybe thats just me or my snake.

i wish to save him , i will do whatever you guys decide as usual. thanks alot.

also sorry for not being able to give reputation to you Asbit and you Kathy but i must spread it by i apriciate your help :)

I would say do as Kathy suggested and have the vet do a fecal for infection or parasite load. If the vet is not familar with snakes, I would ask Kathy specifically if she felt it would be safe to have the vet do a stomach wash as she suggested because I have no experience with those.

As for feeding I would wait another 10 days so that the stomach can relax and build up acids again, and I would stick to every 7 days for at least a few feedings to see if he seems to keep it down and seems to do better.

Once you do feed him, use one of the listed liquid foods, egg yolk, liquefied ferret diet or something of the sort, like liquid baby bird diet, I ahve also heard of people taking pinkies and liquefying them in the blender with water and NutriBac to help out sick snakes.

To feed it you would mix up the food and make sure it is at least room temp or if you can check the temp then warm to 85-90 and draw small amounts up in a syringe(with out a needle). This next part you may or may not need help for, hold your snake by the head firmly but gently and restrain the rest of the body either under your fore arm or between your legs, again firmly but gently(we do not want to cause any harm). Use the syringe to gently pry open his mouth, now once open get it shoved down the throat, feel free to shove it 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down, keep the snake in an upright position(head facing ceiling) and slowly push syringe so food goes into the snake. Give few second breaks(do not remove syringe) for snake to swallow and continue again. Once done keep the snake up right until it is done swallowing so that no liquid food comes into the mouth where his tongue flicks out of as this is where his wind pipe is and if it gets into his wind pipe he can get an upper respiratory infection. The first one or two times you do it, it's a bit of a struggle but it gets easier and easier. I have only had to do this with a very tiny snake so I really do not know how much you could give a snake Blaze's size. Hopefully Kathy will be able to give you an idea as to how much to give Blaze at one time.

DarkSmoke

Kathy has said she will be by late tonight or early tomorrow am to give her opinions and answer what I can not.

No, a pinkie pump is not a good idea. That would cause more problems than it would help.

By half way down I meant put the syringe down the snake to half the length of the syringe, sorry should have made that more clear.

Temps were good from the last regurg. Im considering taking him to the vet since i called him last week to see if he sees snakes. and i didn't love his way of talking and i expect from malta since reptiles aint that common.

He told me to bring him temps, when i asked him if he can do a test for any germs all he said was "just brin him here and will see" in maltese like his aim is the money. now i don't want to go to a vet wich will tell me the same things that guys told me here and pay money for it or give me some bad advice and waste money and more over risk the snakes health. but i want the advice of you people, should i still take the snake to the vet without knowing how much good he is on snakes ?
also , what is best , trying the yolk diet first or take it to the vet?
another thing i will have the money by 8th february is there a risk of dead if left unfed till then ?

also , the "regurg" looked a bit like poop but it didnt have the white urates as usual with it , also it had some pink stuff wich is the usual with it like the regurgs tough i know it could be just not totally digested food. there was no smell somehow from all the regurgs i never was able to smell the great bad smell everyone talks about here but maybe thats just me or my snake.

i wish to save him , i will do whatever you guys decide as usual. thanks alot.
Wouldn't it be interesting, if this whole time you and everyone here thought he'd been regurging, when really he just has strange poop? Granted that's still an issue, but not nearly as bad as regurging for months and months. I don't know enough about regurges or abnormal poop to make this comment mean anything though, just speculating.

I would try to just take a fecal sample to ANY vet. The parasites are very similar (to dog and cat parasites), and the vet shouldn't charge much just to test the poop if you don't bring the snake. But if it needs to be treated, be sure they consult a reptile vet.

In the meantime, you could start tubing some egg yolk as soon as your snake has rested from the last regurge (if you are sure it is a regurge. If you stuck your nose right near it, and it didn't smell like vomit, then it probably is not regurge, although it could be incompletely digested food passed through the body).

A vet friend of mine is making up tube feeding kits to sell, and doing a photo tutorial of how to do it. Please look here: http://cccorns.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8962

I can't tell you what order to do things in because I can't see and touch your snake, so I don't know how dire the condition is. I don't know if it is an emergency or if it looks like we have some time yet. Only a vet or experienced keeper could evaluate the snake in person to give an educated guess. Even then, there could be things going on inside the snake that even a reptile vet can't see. So I would suggest the fecal exam, Nutri Bac, and liquid food (after a rest period if there was a regurge) as soon as possible. I am sorry that I can't be more definite, but it is not possible without being there in person. And I am not a vet, so I can only go by what I have experienced with my own animals.

Hope it helps.

Wouldn't it be interesting, if this whole time you and everyone here thought he'd been regurging, when really he just has strange poop? Granted that's still an issue, but not nearly as bad as regurging for months and months. I don't know enough about regurges or abnormal poop to make this comment mean anything though, just speculating.
and yes, thats what iv been thinkng the whole time. cause i never smelled any bad smell from "the regurgs" and the only time it had a shape of a mouse was when it started to get cold (september) and i didnt have a heatmat :| cause the snake doesn't look ill or stressed and from how people described regurgs here thats the only time it was like the describtion.

DarkSmoke I would agree with wade and not suggest using a pinkie pump at this point.

But so that you know what it is, it is a large syringe(glass and stainless steel) that you put a pinkie in it, then insert the pump into the snake and force the whole pinkie through a built in strainer into the snake.

This would not make you a liquefied diet.

Seamus, pinkie pumps are hard to use and very stressful for the snake. I would not suggest you even think about using one.

I had a pinkie pump back in the mid '80s...

I used it two or three times, and hated it. You have to use a lot of pressure to squeeze the pinkie through the holes, and then it explodes out the other end - at least that is the way it worked back when I had one. I have never used once since then. Since then, I use a plastic syringe or the metal bird feeding tubes, although I have occasionally used the flexible catheters that you saw in the photos in the link I gave you.

It is very possible that maybe you didn't have regurges. But if you have undigested food coming out the other end, that is definitely a problem, too. If that is the case, I would STILL make the same recommendations as earlier - fecal exam, Nutri Bac, and liquid food via tube. But maybe you wouldn't have to wait for a week if it is undigested food and not a regurge.

Back