CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Are My Frozen Mice still Good?

Old 06-27-2002, 01:53 PM   #1
sunglow
Are My Frozen Mice still Good?

Need Help !!!

I purchased 100 frozen mice from Rodentpro.com.

So far I have used 3 mice -- so far so good.

A nasty storm hit our area, and we lost electricity for about 24 hours. We did not open the freezer door during the outage.

By the time the electricity came back, our ice cream was really soft (the freezer was cool, but certainly was not COLD).

Unfortunately we did not check the mice during the power outage.

Do I need to throw out 97 mice? Is there a danger to our snake if the mice partially thawed and then refroze?

As always, any feedback is much appreciated !!!

-Sunglow

Old 06-27-2002, 02:16 PM   #2
SilverTongue
I dont know for sure cuz i wasnt there. But you can think a good rule of thumb would be...

If ya threw out the hamburger or chicken (or whatever) meat. Then you should throw out the mice. Think of them as fuzzy chicken legs. If that chicken in the freezer is not good for you...then the mice is not good for them. I hope i make sense

Old 06-27-2002, 02:35 PM   #3
Simon
I refreeze my mice one time if they are not eaten. The second time I throw them out....
so I would say that t's going to be alright to reuse them. But some people would think that is not too healthy for the snake so they would rather throw it out. Your choice my comments

Old 06-27-2002, 03:08 PM   #4
pdrau
They probably got about as unfrozen as they did during transport to you and should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Especially because you didn't open the freezer while the power was out.

Peter

Old 06-27-2002, 04:54 PM   #5
reaper
i think they will be ok as you never opened the freezer if any think all that would happen is that the snakes might get an upset stomach but cant see any problems but at the end of the day its up to you

Old 06-27-2002, 06:13 PM   #6
CornsnakeKeeper
They are fine. Use them as long as they didn't get warm. I always have a bad habit of setting them out to warm to room temp. and forgetting I had to feed them... then, once I notice the darn mice again, they went bad. Ughh...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google