CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Are corns socialable?

Old 05-17-2002, 09:23 AM   #1
Kilojara16
Are corns socialable?

In the wild, corns are solitary animals, but in captivity, they are sometimes in the same cage with other corns. Are they socialable animals? Do they like to interact with other corns? Or do they just tolerate the other corns living with them? Are they better off alone?

Old 05-17-2002, 01:18 PM   #2
Kaz
I have been advised by many corn lovers that cornsnakes should be individualy housed.

But my experience is I have two cornsnakes that live on their own because they are very highly strung and do not accept any other corn in their 'space'. I have a mating pair that love each other and are always curled up together, and I have three corns in one tank who get along very well, but I am planning on building a new tank to put one of the three in because on is a year older than the other two, and I don't want him to try it on with the younger two girls just yet.

It is advised as I said to house them seperate but I think it could be up to the keeper and the snakes.

Hope this helps. (you'll probably get someone else saying different though)

Old 05-17-2002, 04:36 PM   #3
Alicia
Corns in the wild are not socialable they get together for breeding purposes only. Corns in captivity are in an unnatural enviroment so I suppose that sharing living space would be accepted by some corn snakes. I personally DO NOT advise keeping them together. There are many reasons not to keep them together but the most important one for me is the possibility of introducing an illness to the others. Even of you have a quarantine period of 60 or 90 days there is still a risk. I feel that I have a better chance of keeping my snakes healthy and well fed if I house them individualy. This is jmho others do what works for them. I'm just not much of a risk taker

Alicia

Old 05-17-2002, 09:05 PM   #4
Missymonkey
it's kinda up to you

lots of people advise to house them separate hwever lots of people have two corns in a tank, I think if you start them off young together and supervise them for a few weeks together and they do fine,.. then you shouldn't have a problem,.. however they may not get along so keep an extra tank/set-up ready just in case....

Old 05-17-2002, 09:56 PM   #5
kenster
I have mine housed together, a pair in one tank and 2 females in the other. they seem to do well together. I do put them in seperate tanks when feeding though. Then I put them back in the cage about 30 mins after eating, or when I remember...

Old 05-18-2002, 05:07 PM   #6
Kaz
I did read somewhere that females can be housed happily together, or a pair can be housed together, but males only together is a problem. Maybe its the usual problem in the animal world, only one boss!

Old 05-18-2002, 10:36 PM   #7
Simon
Well I wouldn't think that they would be too socialiable since putting two snakes together can stress one or both of them causing them not to eat. I have had a pair of corns together before and it was one male and one female. The female was fine, ate everything in front of her and digested it properly. But then my male did eat but then regurgitated every single meal that I gave him. Then I separated them into one tank each and the male never regurgitated again. But because of the regurgitation before, the size of the male is much much smaller than the female. Also they are brothers and sisters too...... so I wouldn't put them together......

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Old 05-19-2002, 08:35 AM   #8
jim
i think corns are solitary as a survival instinct. in the wild corns are quite susceptible to many easily transmitted parasites and being solitary animals was probably the best behavioral modification to help combat this. it seems that corns that would more strongly exhibit the trait that causes them to shun other snakes would give them a better chance at long-term survival.
i think it can be both psychologically and physically unhealthy for gregarious animals to live alone and probably for solitary animals to be forced to live in groups. not saying it can't be done or even that it shouldn't be done, only that it is probably not what is best for the animal... ---jim

Old 05-21-2002, 07:08 AM   #9
Rachel
I keep a pair together but feed seperately (both on the same day). I've been told that you can keep a 'harem' : that is one male and several females, depending on size of tank and if you want baby corns!
I guess its up to the keeper, so whatever you feel happiest with. Mine get along just fine but they have only been together a few weeks so I'll see how it goes!

Old 05-23-2002, 06:14 PM   #10
JaketheTick
I keep a male and two females together, but i seperate them to feed. As far as being sociable, in my opinion they are absolutely not. People often want to associate those kinds of behaviors with their pretty little snakes, bu i dont think the snakes have any real idea that there is even another snake with them. They tend to curl up together, because they are both corn snakes, and in such a small environment, there is usually not more than one place where a desired temp., humidity, sunlight, etc is available, so the both are there at the same time. I think they recognize for the most part the other is not good food, or that occasionally hormones cause the snakes to interact, such as males sort of scuffling, or male/female mating. But thats just my take. I always hear people say "oh little susy, (subsititute any reptile name) likes you," but really, you just havent given them a reason to strike, and they enjoy the warmth of your skin.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google