CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

UTH question...

Old 09-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
*salAMANDA88*
Question UTH question...

ok, this may have been posted before..I didnt look to well, because I am busy with homework..and should really be reading some crapy Lit. right now..yay for me!
anywho...right now I am keeping my baby corns in a larger tank..in their plastic shoe boxes..(mainly because I had one escepe the shoe box, and we still cant find him...)....the tank is like a 50 gallon...and I am heating it with a lamp right now,,its working..but I have too many lamps running and the light is too much at night....( people probably drive by my house and think they are in the red-light dist'.)
anyway..I have a UTH that will be good for that sized tank, and it suggests to place it on the side of the tank Vs. the bottom...that would make sense in my case so everyone gets heat....is this a good ide...has anyone done this before...
Thanks for the advice.
~Amanda~

Old 09-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Lennycorn
I and most here place their uth on the bottom not side of the tank.
To me, placing it on the side will only heat the air then only rise to the top.
But it has been done before. Why ?? I don't see the point

Old 09-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
*salAMANDA88*
yeah it didnt really make sense to me...but thats just what the package said...it was the "prefered" way.....so I just thought I'd ask peoples advice on the matter..

Old 09-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
Lennycorn
The type I use was a "peel off and stick in on" type but I was warn not to do that. Just keep the paper on and duck tape it in place.. It will hold.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
*salAMANDA88*
is it safe to use duct tape on them..thats the kind I have too..its a zoomed...I'll try that..I have the tank on an oak chest that my grandparents gave me..so I 'm trying not to ruin it...and I dont have any other choice..its the only place I can put it...at the moment..

Old 09-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
The_Thunderer
You'll need to put "spacers" under the tank after you put on the UTH (It IS okay to duct tape it in place). If the wood is REALLY that important... I'd place it somewhere else - unless you can put at least 2 inches of spacers under the tank.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
Lennycorn
Let me get this right ..your using a "50 gallon size plastic type" container.

I have no experience with them and misread your first post but...I still think it's fine to tape it on the bottom. And if you want to protect the chest, just rise it with something.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
*salAMANDA88*
no no no...the tank is a 50 gallon, and inside are the plasticshoe boxes...I am just trying to find a better way to heat them up, instead of the heating lamp...lol
I put the shoe boxes inside the tank...because I had a snake escape the plastic shoe box..and now I am just making sure they are safe..untill I get a rack..which wont be for a few weeks..lol

Old 09-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Lennycorn
Well OK. They shouldn't get out of there.
but do as stated, tape on and rise the tank.
Are you going to use flex-watt for the rack?

Old 09-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
*salAMANDA88*
yup...Thats the plan anyway...thanks for the advice too..oh' and one more thing...what would be a good way to elevate the tank?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google