CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Sneeze?

Old 05-23-2002, 04:50 PM   #1
Iris
Sneeze?

Can corns sneeze? I was holding Xavier a few days ago and he was drinking from the water bowl when all of a sudden I heard like this "Pff" sound and his body sort of twitched and then he went right back to drinking.
Then today he was slithering around in the aspen and then he "sneezed" and continued on as normal. I don't hear any problems with his breathing so I don't think it's a respiratory infection or anything...
Does anyone else's snake(s) sneeze?

Old 05-23-2002, 08:15 PM   #2
kenalotia
My snake has also sneezed before. He did it a bunch of times once when I gave him a bath. Maybe he'd inhaled a little water and was sneezing to get it out. Sounds like maybe the same thing happened to Xavier... Mine only did it when he was in the water, though. It's probably nothing to be concerned about unless he starts doing it more or shows other signs of a respiratory illness.

Old 05-23-2002, 10:09 PM   #3
kenster
i would imagine snakes are like any other animal, too much water up the nose and they will sneeze. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens all the time. Although if you see him cover his mouth and say "bless you" then I would worry!!

Old 05-23-2002, 10:52 PM   #4
Simon
Don't worry, corn snakes are known to sneeze. It's just natural, we sneeze so why can't they?

Good Luck and Happy Herping!!

Old 05-24-2002, 02:38 AM   #5
Iris
Ok, that's all I wanted to hear. It was so cute and funny when he did it. In my head I was like..no way..that was NOT a sneeze..
But I guess it was. Thanks for your input

Old 05-24-2002, 02:15 PM   #6
Kaz
I had a snake once with a respiratory infection, which she 'sneezed' a lot, but also there was a whistling sound when she was breathing, and when you held her you could feel 'rattling' around the lung area. She also started 'bubbling' at the mouth. I had to put her in quarantine, and make the tank warmer about 90 deg, and dry the air out, she eventually had an anti-biotic injection, and after about 6 weeks she was well again. But usually a little sneeze does mean a bit of water up the nose.

Old 05-25-2002, 08:01 PM   #7
Iris
Oh, it's definitely not an RI. He's perfectly all right. I was just surprised when it happened because I hadn't a clue that they could sneeze. I've been learning a LOT about snakes ever since I got him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google