• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how long after you feed your snake can you handle it

rileyoconnell87

Some of my friends say I cant handle my snake for four to five days after I feed her but I feed my snake every 7 days so I can only handle her 2 days a week. Is this true??

The normal rule of thumb is 48 hours after it eats you can handle unless there is still a bulge:D

I normally wait 24 hrs, unless like Jdog3131 said there is a bulge i will wait longer. i fed my baby corn yesterday and last night he was out and about with his bulgeing tummy and came to the top of the tank as he normally does when he is waiting for me to take him out. Didnt though since he was still digesting

24 is the minimum but I would say 48 hours just to be safe :) I can usually handle my snakes after 36 hours or so and never have a problem (except for when my corn snake decides to poop on me!) D:< lol

I handle the next day sometimes - no problems. Generally, I will give a full day, though.

Brian from BHB also supports the next day rule.

However, my snakes are small and still on pinkies. If, like others have said, there is a large bulge, I would definitely give 2 days.

It seems to depend on the snake for me. Babies I won't handle for 24-48 hours depending on how stressed they get with handling. For example, I have 2 fires right now that stress out with handling, are having to be tube fed (hope that ends soon) and are very flighty. I leave them for a full 3 days after feedings to ensure they don't regurge anything.
On the other hand, my adults don't mind being handled before, during, and after feeding, especially Flurry. He thinks people are heating rocks made to keep snakes comfortable and fights me when I go to put him back in his cage though he'll happily stay curled inside my shirt or around my neck. The only reason I don't mind handling the adults so soon after though is because I've never had them regurge and they are what I like to call bomb-proof. Nothing bothers them so they don't get stressed out through handling. I've also had them both for 10 years and know their personalities inside and out. With a newer snake whose temperament I was unsure of, I wouldn't attempt anything like that.

I wait 24 hours until I handle him. The amount I handle him next day is dependant on his mood. If he is lethargic and slow I will only handle him for a few minutes. If he seems content climbing around I extend the amount of time. When I return him I always hold him over his water dish to see if he is thirsty and have noticed that he usually will drink while I am holding him the day after he has fed.

How you set the viv up is important. Heating lamps are not good for corns at all, and can cause blindness in some of them along with drying out the viv, possible fires, and expensive bulbs.

An Under Heat Mat (UTH) is the best thing for digestion, and they do use them regularly. You should have many hides from the pantry and bathroom. Get the UTH immediately along with the cheap yellow thermometer

Last edited:
Agree with others, minimum 48 hours, but I usually wait a good three days, just because I don't really enjoy getting pooped on, and while my snakes have all finished digesting by the 48 hour mark, they don't always poop by then, lol.

Heating lamps are not good for corns thee and can cause blindness in some of them

Heat lamps don't actually cause blindness, it's UV lamps which can do that, and those definitely need to be avoided. I use all heat mats now, but I've used both heat lamps and mats before, with equal success. I mainly switched for the convenience of not having to change bulbs all the time and because I'm paranoid about fire risks, lol.

Back