CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Copper the Supposed Male

Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
CopperCorn
Copper the Supposed Male

Hello, I just joined! I'd been meaning to join for a while to read more on the threads but I didn't get to it until now. I'm on here for my "male" corn snake, Copper, who I believe is a diffused, no clue if he's het to anything. We got him about 8 years ago, from a breeder who was retiring and selling all his snakes. "He" was a yearling at the time and we were told by the breeder "he" was a male.
Well, Copper had been seemingly acting sick for a while (refusing food, sulking, hiding and burrowing more than usual) so we scheduling him a vet visit.
And today "he" surprised us...
with EGGS!
I decided to lift his hide to see if he was doing well and there she was on a pile of about 8 or 10 eggs.
So that's why I decided to join now, I'm trying to figure out what to do now that she's laid eggs and now that we realize she's not a boy. I don't know why we never looked it up to verify her sex, I guess we just trusted the retired breeder since he'd been breeding them.
So here we are, and here's a few pictures of her. She's a pretty little gal.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
MysticExotics
That is one way to find out the sex of the snake. LOL

Old 07-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
Twolunger
What a beauty! Even long time snake breeders make mistakes. Most use the popping method to see if hemipenes are present in hatchlings or young corns, but that isn't foolproof.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:40 AM   #4
Dennis Gulla
Pretty girl! Now you know that you have a female and she is healthy, merely exhibiting the behavior that is natural for this time of year. I’m sure that you know this, but obviously the eggs are infertile.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
CopperCorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Gulla View Post
Pretty girl! Now you know that you have a female and she is healthy, merely exhibiting the behavior that is natural for this time of year. I’m sure that you know this, but obviously the eggs are infertile.
Yeah, I got caught up reading old stuff on parthenogenesis and got a bit carried away with it thinking one could be "fertile." I'm learning a lot here, this forum is full of great information. I got pretty worried she was sick for a while before her "gift" appeared yesterday!

Old 07-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
JustinOfCO
Welcome to the forums and beautiful snake! Such a fitting name, too.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
SnakeCreations
Welcome and congrats! It's a girl!

-Tonya

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google