CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"Conehead" Adult Corn?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #31
Nanci
As long as you're there, it sure wouldn't hurt to run a fecal on him, to look for parasites.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #32
Talesse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
As long as you're there, it sure wouldn't hurt to run a fecal on him, to look for parasites.
Okay I will ask about that too. I last fed him 3 days ago and he hasn't pooped yet, can I just bring a sample in at a later time?

Okay, I really need to get off the computer now. I will definitely post an update about him tomorrow.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #33
5 Star Serpents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talesse View Post
This is exciting, I bought the little hypo lavender in my avatar from you two months ago! I am located very close to you, so I will check that list, thank you!
Haha, that's what I thought How are your other 2 babies?! If you are still in Edmonton in school, Park Vet in Sherwood Park is one of the highest recommended vets in Alberta, call them, they will be able to have a look at him for you and may be able to tell with a simple exam what the cause is

EDIT: I should have finished reading the thread before posting LOL, I'm guessing you are taking him to Park Vet, good luck and keep us posted.

I can assure everyone he has found an AMAZING home, this young lady purchased her first 2 babies from me and she is that dream owner we all love to sell our babies to!

Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #34
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talesse View Post
Okay I will ask about that too. I last fed him 3 days ago and he hasn't pooped yet, can I just bring a sample in at a later time?

Okay, I really need to get off the computer now. I will definitely post an update about him tomorrow.
Maybe running him around on the floor a while, or swimming him, would encourage pooping before your visit.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #35
WestCoast_Redneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Star Serpents View Post
I can assure everyone he has found an AMAZING home, this young lady purchased her first 2 babies from me and she is that dream owner we all love to sell our babies to!
That made me smile

Good luck with Gibbs! I'm rooting that it's nothing serious and you just have a happy, healthy, deformed snake

Old 03-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #36
Justine66
Mee too!!
were rooting for you guys too!

I hope he's a healthy boy!

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #37
Talesse
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Star Serpents View Post
Haha, that's what I thought How are your other 2 babies?! If you are still in Edmonton in school, Park Vet in Sherwood Park is one of the highest recommended vets in Alberta, call them, they will be able to have a look at him for you and may be able to tell with a simple exam what the cause is

EDIT: I should have finished reading the thread before posting LOL, I'm guessing you are taking him to Park Vet, good luck and keep us posted.

My two babies are perfect! My butter is in shed, which I've posted a picture of below, and I took my avatar photo of my hypo lavender just yesterday.

The Park vet is the place I called, I'm taking him there tomorrow. Does anyone have personal experience with the place?

You've really made my day, thank you so much for your kind words!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #38
5 Star Serpents
Is he ever in shed! Haha, looks like he's growing REALLY well

Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #39
Talesse
Okay, I apologize for the off-topic picture of my other snake. We're back from the vet, and I'll get straight to the point and share the text that the vet sent me home with (the second paragraph is the most interesting):

Quote:
Gibbs presented to the clinic today for evaluation of a lump on his head. On physical exam he is bright, alert and responsive. He has a very firm bump on the top of his head at the back of his skull. As we discussed, the most common cause of a mass like this in a snake is an abscess, usually caused by a rodent bite. I am sending him home with a course of antibiotics. Please use as directed. If the lump does not change in size, the next step would be a skull x-ray. If the mass still looks like an abscess, we would recommend surgically shelling it out. If it is not an abscess, other possibilities include a tumour or a congenital malformation of the bones of the skull. Otherwise, all systems and parameters evaluated are within normal limits.

Feces were collected for parasite testing. This exam revealed a number of bizarre parasites that we rarely see in captive-bred snakes, including a very large number of tape worm eggs. Tapeworms have indirect life cycles, so in order to get a tapeworm, you have to eat a secondary host that has tape worm cysts in the muscles. Our suspicion is that at some point in this snake's life, someone fed him wild-caught rodents. Companies that breed rodents to be fed to snakes do try to make an effort to make sure that their rodents are parasite-free. Wild rodents, of course, could be carrying any number of parasites. Because we rarely see tapeworms in snakes, we do not have any medications in clinic at the moment that will treat them, and we will have to order something in specially. I will call the compounding pharmacy tomorrow to discuss options. Once I know how much the medication will cost, I will call you and let you know. I would recommend a recheck fecal exam in about a month to make sure that we kill the parasites that we are seeing. For parasite testing, we need a sample that is less than 2 hours old.
Was definitely not expecting this! BB and Nanci, I'm so glad you two and everyone else posted. I will be giving Gibbs an antibiotic injection every three days, six injections total.

I will take the best care of him that I can, but I really learned my lesson: if I'm going to get a long-term pet, definitely go to a reliable breeder. Kijiji may be good for convenience, but it's really not worth the risk. If the bump disappears, then I'll post some progress pictures.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #40
airenlow
Very interesting! I'm glad you made that appointment...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google