CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"Conehead" Adult Corn?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #41
diamondlil
Wow, sounds like not only visiting a vet was a good call, but your vet has done an excellent job with Mr Gibbs! Hope he's better soon.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #42
Nanci
He's lucky you took him home, and he is getting the vet care he needs!!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #43
BloodyBaroness
I'm so glad you took Gibbs to the vet! Hopefully heals up fast and you two have a long life together.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #44
5 Star Serpents
Wow, the bit about the parasites is really interesting. I hear people all the time say "oh well I will just get a live trap for mice and feed them that" Gibbs is a prime example of why NOT to do that. I'm going to save this thread for reference to share with people who think that the practice of feeding wild mice is safe or ok.
Another thing on the fecals is that there is a lab that will test samples that have been properly stored, they say collected as quickly as possible, sealed container and in the fridge. The only reason I know this is that there is nowhere in Red Deer that does fecals worth paying for and it's simply not possible to get it to a clinic that does good testing within the 2hr time frame so I had my "furry" vet look into it for me, as there aren't any reliable herp vets in the city. I know that's really irrelevant in this situation but if anyone else in our area looking here it may prove helpful

Old 03-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #45
Nanci
Not only do you have to worry about parasites with WC rodents, but there is always the possibility that the rodent could have ingested a rodenticide or some other kind of toxin.

The same goes for WC insects for bearded dragons and such- WC insects may have consumed or contacted poisons before being fed.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #46
Alli_Draggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Not only do you have to worry about parasites with WC rodents, but there is always the possibility that the rodent could have ingested a rodenticide or some other kind of toxin.

The same goes for WC insects for bearded dragons and such- WC insects may have consumed or contacted poisons before being fed.
One of my friends asked how we managed to keep our frogs alive-all of her attempts at keeping frogs have ended in dead frogs. As it turned out, she sent her kids out to catch insects for them-thinking that was the right thing to do. Our frogs get crickets from a pet supplier. It makes a difference.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #47
AliCat37
Wow!!! Good thing you took him to the vet. Tapeworms are certainly evil things...

Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #48
BloodyBaroness
How is Gibbs doing? Any updates?

Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #49
Fantherophis
He's a cutie but I think you should name him Beldar; Dan Akroyd's conehead character!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #50
Fantherophis
you should name him Beldar: Dan Akroyd's conehead character.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google