CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Pre new to it all

Old 03-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
barett
Pre new to it all

Hello. I have owned many pets before. Never a snake. I am a bit nervous about the prospect. 2 main reasons......the biting and the escaping. I am excited to learn more and more and more

Old 03-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
blacktip
I wouldn't be concerned with biting. It's very uncommon with corn snakes and even then a bite from an adult is not very painful at all. One of our adults struck at me once when I was feeding her and while it left a few pin pricks in my hand it wasn't painful at all.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
barett
That's what I read. Makes me feel better. What is the best enclosure. I like my enclosures to be very nice.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:11 AM   #4
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by barett View Post
Hello. I have owned many pets before. Never a snake. I am a bit nervous about the prospect. 2 main reasons......the biting and the escaping. I am excited to learn more and more and more
If you buy a young corn snake and handle it frequently you won't be bitten. I have been bitten many times, usually by a corn that had a feeding response and I wasn't quick enough to avoid the bite. I can't say it's not painful though. I usually have a nice bloody outline of the corn's mouth on my finger.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
barett
Oh ya that makes sense. I am not too worried. Cant be worse than the cats bite or scratch hey? I am going to a couple of reptile shows in 2019 in Edmonton. I am hoping to hold some there. I have NEVER held a snake before. We have tonnes of garter snakes here, but I dont hold them...they musk and its gross.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Twolunger
Corns seldom bite in defense, and when they do it's usually a quick strike to let you know they don't want to be bothered. Most of the time it's all show. If they do connect it's so fast that you are more surprised than anything else. I have a young pair of Pueblans that musk every time I pick them up. I don't know if they will ever calm down like a corn.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
barett
What enclosure would you all recommend. I like to use enclosures that make the animals feel at home, comfortable, big enough, and pleasing. Also something where the snake is secure in there. Id hate for an escape.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
Twolunger
I have too many snakes for single vivariums, so use a rack system, but if you look back a few days, in the new member section, a new member set up a vivarium for Rusty that was sweet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google