CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"Bunged Up" Snake, please heap

Old 05-09-2005, 05:45 AM   #1
spmartin
Unhappy "Bunged Up" Snake, please heap

Hello

My snakes appears to have a serious problem with his back end! There is a solid lump of what looks like faeces dried up on where I guess his bum is. I have tried soaking it in a bit of water to losen it, but it feels quite solid. What can I do to help him? I fear this could be fatal if it is not cleared soon.

I have a strong suspision that a mouse was fed to him in his cage and he may have swallowed a bit of the substrate. It looks quite painful as when I was running water of it he get very upset.

Any Ideas greatly appreciated, thanks.

Simon

Old 05-09-2005, 06:26 AM   #2
princess
Wow, that sounds nasty. Is the lump on the inside or the outside of the snake? From your description it sounds like it looks like a really big scab.

I don't disagree with your 'soaking to soften it' method but I suggest you follow it up with a spray (or aplication of some sort) of a topical antibacterial solution/lotion and a dry terrarium to prevent any septicemia (sp) setting in.

Then perhaps transfer the snake to a plastic tub with clean paper towel for substrate, small water bowl and a hide and keep the poor patient warm.

I also suggest a herp vet if you have the chance.

May I ask the snakes history? Have you had it long? Is it a rescue? Is it young or adult? Is it still accepting meals? Is it active and using its tongue?

Good luck, keep us informed.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
spmartin
History

Hi, thanks for you reply...

The lump is external, and about 1 cm cubed in size, dark brown/greyish.

I have had the snake more than 3 years now (a friend bred him), fully grown adult anerythristic (hope that the correct spelling). I'm not sure if he's still using his tongue, but my family tell me he ate his last meal fine, (which they place in the tank rather than in the separate feeding tank) Cant comment on how active he his, although he got very active when I ran water over the lump.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
PtDnsr
I'm not an expert or even close so this may be a shot in the dark but...you said "he". Do you know for sure that the snake is a male? If so what are the chances that it could be a prolapsed hemipene (sorry for the spelling). I believe that a solution of sugar and water is sometimes helpful with this but often a vet visit is required. If you do a search I'm sure you'll come up with more helpful information as well as pictures. Like I said - it may be a shot in the dark but could be worth considering.

~Katie

Old 05-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Sisuitl
It could be a hemipene. My iguana recently went in for surgery to have a necrotic hemipene amputated. It looked like his vent (bottom) was clogged with dried feces. There was a little bit of feces stuck on the end of the necrotic hemipene, and that's what made it look like that. At any rate, it should be seen by a vet right away in case it's infected or something. If it seems painful to him then it's very likely. Are there any swellings around the area?

Old 05-10-2005, 04:28 AM   #6
spmartin
Hi

I do beleive it is a male, as this is what I was told when I bought him, and he has never laid eggs so I am assuming that is correct, I have 2 anerythristics, 1 male (the sick one) 1 female (which is considerably smaller), and 1 male carolina (forgive me if incorrect spelling).

Think I'm gunna visit a vet!

Thanks

Old 05-10-2005, 04:29 AM   #7
spmartin
...also, I dont believe the area is swollen...

Old 05-10-2005, 06:45 AM   #8
Sisuitl
Just curious, they do have different anatomy from iguanas, but my iguana's hemipene got necrotic after an abscess in his tail cut off the circulation to his part. There was no visible swelling at first, but it was painful to the touch for him. In the couple of days between diagnosis and surgery the abscess swelled dramatically.

Hope your little guy is okay. Let us know what the vet says!

Old 05-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #9
PtDnsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmartin
Think I'm gunna visit a vet!
Did you get your snake to the vet? What was the outcome? I'm just curious...it would be interesting to see pictures if you have them as well.

~Katie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google