CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Bad/Incomplete Shed: What To Do

Old 10-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #151
Phil1ooo
Quick note,, Moisture is also important which we all already are aware of. So having said that providing your snake with something he can completely submerge himself in only makes sense. If your a snake lover and you want your snake to shed properly then providing him with what he actually needs rather than trying to cut corners also only makes perfect sense for both your won peace of mind and your snakes well being. the snake knows what he needs and it's up to you to provide him with exactly that no matter what the small extra expense it takes to make that happen. Remember snakes aren't like dogs, cats etc, they don't have different face expressions when they want or need something.

If you own a dog or a cat do you only give yourself a spray bottle of water to wash them with or do turn on the tap and soak them wet. NO I bet you don't, you don't even think twice about turning on that hose tab to drench them, filling the bath to soak them etc. Again only my personal opinion but I feel that these snakes should have at it's disposal enough water to submerge in at all times as that is what they would have in the wild.
Sorry if that offends some of you as it's wasn't the intention.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:52 AM   #152
Spencer
My snake does have enough water. He used it as a hide for the first couple days before I got him a propeR hide. He s in it all the time. Still incomplete she'd. Maybe the branch in his viv is too rough

Old 03-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #153
marcellajoleen
I have a question about this. This is an excellent thread. My girl Ophelia is was born in July and her last shed was difficult, so I gave her a soak, worked wonderfully. She's shedding again, and I just bought her this new cork log that she's hiding in and I can see that pieces of her old skin are coming off in it nicely. She refuses to leave the cork log and I can't get her out of it, so I've just been letting her be. She shed the skin from her eyecaps down to what I'd call her neck (I found that in her tank) but she's still working on the rest. Should I just let her be? Isn't it only supposed to take 24 hours or so for them to completely shed? It's been about four days. I'm going out of town for a few days and I won't have anyone to check on her so I'm awfully worried about getting this solved and getting her fed before then. I don't want it to continue to be a problem for her with every shed. I've been misting the walls of her tank and keeping her screen lightly covered with plastic bags to keep the humidity up. Is there anything else I can do or should I let her chill?

Old 03-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #154
Nanci
It should take minutes for her to shed. Maybe she will come out of the log if you remove it and place it on the floor, and prod her.

To help in the future, I would either, when she goes blue, cover the screen lid with plastic wrap, loosely, and mist the walls and her plants, daily, or make her a humid hide by putting damp orchid moss in a plastic container and cutting a little door in it, and giving her that when she goes blue.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #155
marcellajoleen
Hi Nanci, thanks for the advice! I am going to try to get her out of the log tonight so I can soak her. It was cheap so if I have to maybe I can just crack it open. When I went to work today I lightly covered the screen lid with some damp paper towels to try and help. I have aspen for bedding and I'm considering switching to a better moisture controlling one. Which one would you recommend?

Old 03-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #156
Nanci
I pretty much only like aspen. The problem with a substrate that retains moisture is it is then prone to mold. Aspen will only mold if you have a big water bowl spill. It's fairly easy to just get in the routine of putting plastic wrap on- I get the holiday colored wrap and lay a sheet of it on top of the viv, and then just crumple it up and srote it right there until the next shed- and misting lightly.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:44 AM   #157
Red Delta
Thanks for the advise. Worked perfectly.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #158
Nanci
Looks like it got more than the shed loosened up! :-)

Old 03-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #159
Red Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Looks like it got more than the shed loosened up! :-)
Yes, easy cleanup.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #160
roti_mentega
its look bad to me..she shed last 2 weeks, and I noticed that got some incompleted shed on the belly area..then last two days she shed again..still got incomplete shed at same area..

I already soaked with warm water. look like this area very dry. can i put some baby oil or something?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
shedding problem