CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"Kinked" Corns

Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
wasuslitherin
"Kinked" Corns

I was wondering...Can kinked corn snakes long healthy lives? I have heard that some breeders release all of thier kinked corns into the wild. Why? Can they not be kept as healthy pets?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
ceduke
If they can eat and shed despite the kink they absolutely can lead healthy lives.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Nanci
I have a 2007 kinked corn. She is VERY kinked, but only along the top of her spine- she doesn't have any bends laterally. The older and bigger she gets, the less noticeable her kinks are, to the eye. I can still feel them. I am not sure how much sensation she has in the lower half of her body. When she swims, she rolls side to side, instead of doing the S thing. She feeds and sheds fine by herself, and is keeping up in weight with another female who started out the same size. Of course I can never breed her, but she lives as nice a life here as any of them. Her name is Jasmine, if you want to look for her.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
wasuslitherin
Thanks, Nanci. I will look on your site.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
wasuslitherin
Wow, I don't notice her kinks.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Iguanagirl8662
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasuslitherin View Post
I was wondering...Can kinked corn snakes long healthy lives? I have heard that some breeders release all of thier kinked corns into the wild. Why? Can they not be kept as healthy pets?
I have never heard of a breeder releasing them. Kinked corns shouldn't be breed so most breeders cull them to ensure that they are not used for breeding.

I have 4 kinked snakes and all act and eat just like normal unkinked snakes. I did have one that was very kinked that didn't make it he only grew a couple grams in one year dispite eating normally. So most kinked snakes can live perfectly "normal"/healthy lives, but when they hatch some won't eat and some are so badly kinked it is more humane to euthanize them.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Nanci
Here's a pic from when she was younger: (Jasmine was unkinked, as far as I know, when she arrived. When I fed her the first time, she had a kink. She developed many more. Don't know why).

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Nanci
For a long time I was terribly disappointed. I had big plans for this girl. And I was _so_ afraid to damage her. But she didn't know she was any different. And she is one of the most active snakes I have- climbing, lounging in her hammock, relaxing in her paper towel tube. One day, I thought, whatever, I'm going to treat her like everyone else, do photoshoots, be proud of her, stop hiding her away. I feel so much better.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Iguanagirl8662
Here are my kinked kids. The first one is the one who eventually passed away. Most of them look completely normal unless you hold them or see them up close.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
ceduke
Speaking of kinked corns...do we know if Squiggles made it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google