CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Next Snake

Old 07-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
Magdalen
Next Snake

So this upcoming reptile expo I plan to get another snake. I like snakes on the smaller size, something that would be comfortable in a 20 gallon long or there abouts. I had original thought a male corn because they are smaller than females. But I'm starting to think maybe the 20 gallon long might be too small even for a male.

I just got a hognose today actually, so I don't really know his personality yet. But snake number 2 I'd like to be mellow, not really prone to biting. Yes I know if it has a mouth it'll bite but some bite less than others. Basically I'd like something my friends who might not like snakes would feel comfortable holding.
Oh and I live in a dry state, so I'd like something that doesn't have to hight humidity.

Any suggestions? Really I'm kind of open to anything, even corns if it'll work.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #2
HerpsOfNM
I forget what CA requires in order for you to own one, but a rosy boa would be a fairly good option for this. The Mexican subspecies, which ranges into AZ, stays fairly small compared to the subspecies native to CA. Males in general run on the small side as adults, too.

The downside is that neonates can be a bit tricky at times to get eating. Me personally, I'd get one from someone reputable, that has feed records if you go with a young animal.

Some of the north American milk snakes (current taxonomy is splitting up all the former subspecies) would be an option too for smaller size, but they do tend to be flighty at times. Similarly, mountain kingsnakes (not zonata) could be an option too; something like knoblochi (tarahumara mountain kingsnake).

Old 07-20-2016, 12:10 AM   #3
Magdalen
Yeah I had thought about Rosy Boa but worry about the feeding issues. Hmmm I feel like I've seen Rosy for sale in CA no problem, but I'll double check on that.

I'll look up those others too

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google