CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Hog Island Boas?

Old 07-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Zombiegirl
Hog Island Boas?

Hi gang! I have been in the midst of an upheaval and just in general haven't posted on here much lately but I'm curious about opinions........I really would like to get a boa at some point, and I REALLY would love to have a moonglow or lipstick sunglow BCI (or some such white/albino shootoff), but I don't really have the space for a full size boa right now, so I was tossing around the idea of a hog island to start with as they stay smaller? Currently I have 3 corns, 1 western hognose, 1 rubber boa and 1 ball python...

Old 07-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
HerpsOfNM
I've always wanted either a hog island or corn island boa, love both, and really fell in love with hog islands when I worked for a mom & pop pet store shortly out of high school. The owner had hogs, bolivians, Colombians, a GORGEOUS male Surinam, and a stunning pair of argentines. I always found myself back to the hogs or the Surinam though, followed closely by the female bolivian.

My split has always been either hog/corn island or dumeril's (male). However, I wish I would have gotten photos of the sunglows Rich Ihle had when he stayed at Bob Applegate's house during the 2001 Oct IRBA San Diego show.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
spartavet
I'm actually in the exact same spot right now. I love the boas and think their morphs are stunning, but don't want to commit to that size of snake right now. I am looking at the Hog Islands and the Caulker Cays (they have an almost anery look to them). But I also want something rather docile (my corn is super sweet, so I don't really want to jump from that to something on the aggressive side) and I'm hearing conflicting things about their temperament. Cutting Edge Herps has a lot of the locality boas, so I may end up contacting them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 07-24-2016, 12:13 AM   #4
Zombiegirl
I've heard that hogs are relatively docile? I have 3 snakes right now that bite first and ask questions later so that wouldn't affect me much unless it never tamed out of it and I had to deal with something larger and upset lol

Old 07-24-2016, 03:05 AM   #5
HerpsOfNM
I've heard this as well, but my luck sucks in the department of docile boids. In my case I had a pair of centralian carpets, supposed to be puppy dogs of carpets. Mine made my tokay geckos look like playful puppies.

I've also heard of dums being aggressive, but of the 2 I've ever cared for both were sweethearts. The male tagged me once, but that was due to feeding nearby snakes and he was still fairly small IIRC - around 24-30 inches I believe.

As for locality boas, our own Dr. Orlando (s/n: LRDJ) or Legacy Reptiles is/was big into boas. But Orlando hasn't been on the forum since March and his website doesn't seem up to date.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
Joba
If you really want those morphs, you might consider a male BCI. The problem from your perspective is that their ultimate size is a bit of of crap-shoot. I have a 2012 male who is not even 5' long and is also fairly slender. My adult male dumerils is also very small, less than 5'. But...I've also seen males of both dums and BCI that are very large, so that's always a possibility. No guarantees, but most likely, the largest a male would probably get for you would be in the 7' range, and they are the sweetest things (most of the time ). Good luck with your decision!

Old 07-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
Zombiegirl
I will have a BCI someday, just not as soon as I would like That's why I wanted to start with something smaller. I do want a male regardless of hog or BCI, I prefer males lol.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
I will have a BCI someday, just not as soon as I would like That's why I wanted to start with something smaller. I do want a male regardless of hog or BCI, I prefer males lol.
What's a BCI?

How ya been Zombiegirl? Still knockin' 'em dead?

Old 07-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
Zombiegirl
BCI = Boa Constrictor Imperator

In my defense I was a fan of zombies in general well before the walking dead came out lol.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #10
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
BCI = Boa Constrictor Imperator

In my defense I was a fan of zombies in general well before the walking dead came out lol.
Well thanx for that.! But I'm assuming that just means a regular Boa Constrictor?

I'm also a fan of old-fashioned zombies! Nice to meet ya!!

How ya been?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google