CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Cant wait, but need help

Old 01-13-2003, 12:56 AM   #1
Jaxom
Talking Cant wait, but need help

Hi. In about a week im going to own an absolutly beautiful Ghost Corn Snake. Because of this i got a bunch of questions, and i know that the first thing you all would sugest is to get a book. In fact I've seen alot of you talk about The Cornsnake Manual by the Loves, intend to get. But until i can i was wondering a few things.
1.- Im getting a 10gal tank for a corn about 7in in length. How long will this size tank be ok for it?
2.- A friend whom had a corn told me to use this sand bedding, that is supposedly digestable... its also suppose to be real easy to clean. im not to sure about this so im wondering if this acceptable?
3.- What type of flora and environment should it have, and whats the best hides for a baby corn?
4.-What type of heating is best for a baby? I was going to purchace a heat rock but now i hear they can get to hot. I was wondering is a heat rock nessasary and if not an inexpensive alternative?
5.- If i have a heat rock is a heat light nessasry as well? The petshop was trying to say a hundred watt daylight bulb... that sounded like a bit much

Sorry about all the questions but im so excited about getting this little one that i want everything to be as close to perfect as i can ^.^

Old 01-13-2003, 06:13 AM   #2
CornCrazy
Hello!

Congratulations on getting a corn snake! You definitely won't regret it! You're right, all of us here recommend the Cornsnake Manual to everyone. It is an exceptional guide to keeping corns. Next, I recommend getting a locking lid for your aquarium. The screen lids w/clips do not seem to work. I know several people who have purchased them, and their snakes escaped. The one I recommend to everyone, is found in the pet department of Wal-Mart. It cost around $7.00. It actually locks onto the little ledges at the top of the aquarium. Now for answers to your questions:

Quote:
1. I'm getting a 10gal tank for a corn about 7in in length. How long will this size tank be ok for it?
A 10 gal. aquarium should be good for your snake until it is at least 1 year old.
Quote:
2. A friend whom had a corn told me to use this sand bedding, that is supposedly digestable... its also suppose to be real easy to clean. im not to sure about this so im wondering if this acceptable?
I personally wouldn't use sand. I mean, how can they REALLY make sand digestable?? Most of the people here would recommend aspen bedding. Whatever you do, do not use cedar, regular pine, or any other fragranced wood. They can be toxic to your snake.
Quote:
3. What type of flora and environment should it have, and whats the best hides for a baby corn?
I have plastic aquarium plants in mine. I use plastic ones because they are easy to clean and disinfect if my snakes "poo" on them. As for hides, it doesn't much matter what you use as long as they are "size-appropriate" so that the snake feels secure in them. You will need at least two hides. One for the cool end of the tank and one for the hot end. Also, with using an aquarium, you will want to make a "humid" hide for him. This is to help him shed. You can use any kind of small plastic dish with a lid. Cut a small hole (about an inch) in the side of the bowl. Place damp paper towels in it. I usually have my humid hide on the hot end. It increases the humidity quite well that way. Recheck the "moistness" of the paper towels every couple of days or so.
Quote:
4. What type of heating is best for a baby? I was going to purchace a heat rock but now i hear they can get to hot. I was wondering is a heat rock nessasary and if not an inexpensive alternative?
NEVER use a hot rock! I work for a vet and I have seen many snakes and other reptiles come in with serious burns due to hot rocks! I suggest an under tank (UT) heater. I also do not suggest that you place the UT heater directly on the aquarium, as the directions tell you to do. I've helped treat lots of snakes with burns that way too. Glass gets really hot and the snakes don't know it's burning them. I recommend getting a large melamine cutting board...the ones that are about 1/4 of an inck thick (which can also be found at Wal-mart). Stick the UT heater on one end of the cutting board. Next, take the "feet" that come with the heater and stick one to each corner of the bottom of the cutting board (on the opposite side of the heater). By placing the "feet" on the bottom, you will allow air to circulate under the cutting board so that the surface your tank is sitting on won't get too hot and catch on fire. Set the aquarium on top of the cutting board, and you are ready to go.
Quote:
5. If i have a heat rock is a heat light nessasry as well? The petshop was trying to say a hundred watt daylight bulb... that sounded like a bit much
With a UT heater, a heat light is not necessary. Snakes need "belly" heat to digest their food so the UT heater is enough. You will want to try to keep a temperature gradient for your snake...the cold end should be around 75 degrees Farenheit and the hot end should be around 85-90 degrees Farenheit.

I hope this info helps. If anyone else has any other suggestions, then please help out, too. There are LOTS of people here that are WAY more experienced than I am

Old 01-13-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
Jaxom
Talking

Muy Muy helpful=). But heres one more thing. I went to the shop i will be getting my snake from soon and found out he/she hasnt eaten at all in two weeks. There has been a tiny cricket inside his/her cage for a while yet it hasent eaten. This has me a little concerned what do you all think?

Old 01-13-2003, 06:41 PM   #4
Gerone
Why are they trying to feed it crickets? Am I crazy or what? If you want a Cornsnake to eat feed it something it want to eat like a pinkie or a anole. Give the cricket to a anole and then feed the anole to the snake. Then the circle is complete!

P.S.

5. If i have a heat rock is a heat light nessasry as well? The petshop was trying to say a hundred watt daylight bulb... that sounded like a bit much.

If the Pet store is using a heat rock and a 100w heating lamp then I am afraid they don't know jack about cornsnakes. What kind of place are you purchasing from? I would seriously question anything they say. I'd question it and then forget it.

Buy this!
Bill & Kathy Corn Manual

Best money you could ever spend.

Either they are complete _______ or they are trying to rip you off.

You decide.

Old 01-13-2003, 09:56 PM   #5
vanderkm
If you have decided to get the baby corn despite how it was being managed at the pet shop, you might want to consider this type of hide. It is nice because it extends the whole length of the cage and so it goes from the cool to the warm end of the tank (over the undertank heater). The snakes like the tight space to hide in and they can choose the ideal temperature. The hide isn't that pretty, but we find them very functional for our youngsters. They are cut from a length of vacuum hose (for built in vacuums) available for 50cents a foot at Home Depot here.

(Hope the photo shows up - I tried an attachment but can't seem to get it to work, so am trying a link)

Mary v.

Old 01-16-2003, 07:56 PM   #6
CornsnakeKeeper
Cornsnakes do not eat crickets! Search the internet on yahoo.com and search for cornsnake caresheets. A lot of tips on housing and feeding should be returned for your search. If someone doesn't feed that baby some mice, it won't last long!

Sand is not an acceptible bedding material!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google