CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

iHerp, do you?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
MysticExotics
iHerp, do you?

I know many of you are on iHerp, but I thought it would be good to get the word out there for the newbies.

iHerp is a free tracking system, where you can set up individual "profiles" of your reptiles, set up different categories, & track feeding, sheds, cleaning, etc. You can also set up lineage with other animals, as well as breeding projects. (They also have a free classified section.)

You can blog, ask questions, & interact with other reptile peeps. (All the cool people are on iHerp)

I have been on iHerp for almost a year & a half & I love it!

I am NWHeather on iHerp as well.
The website is: www.iherp.com

Be sure to stop by & say hi!

Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
RepLover1022
Yes, great site!!!! U know I'm on there tho! Lol.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Alyssum
So is it actually useful if you only have one snake (and only ever will have one?). What makes it better than just scribbling notes on a notepad? I'm just curious and trying to decide if I should make an account.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
ratsncorns
I like it because it makes it so easy to organize, keep tracking records, and the classifieds are free. Its kinda like a mini-forum too. I guess if you have one snake its easier to keep track on your own, but its also a good back up just in case you lose that notepad or your computer crashes. I used to keep all my records on an excel file but I lost everything when my computer died. So iHerp is good for backing up your info.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
atmox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssum View Post
So is it actually useful if you only have one snake (and only ever will have one?). What makes it better than just scribbling notes on a notepad? I'm just curious and trying to decide if I should make an account.
I did it for 1 snake, it's just fun to see how fast he's growing Really surprises me when i see the first weight and length measurements i ever took of it and look at the current weight

Old 10-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
RepLover1022
I only have one snake but I have never been a pen and paper person. I love the online tracking. It's so simple. Plus you can find people with the same species of snake as you very easily.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
ghosthousecorns
I'm on there too, a relative newbie there. It's a nice site even if all you do is put up pictures. I find it's a nice way to be able to store all the info, pics etc on each snake. When I need a pic of a snake for an ad or anything I can even pick from 3 different pic sizes so I have kinda been using it to resize stuff. I don't really use the tracking on there because that's just too much data entry for me but do enjoy the blogs and questions.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepLover1022 View Post
Yes, great site!!!! U know I'm on there tho! Lol.
Yes I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssum View Post
That's up to you. I also write stuff down in a notepad, when I list who's getting fed, & what side to thaw out, then I go online & submit everything with the "batch feed" function, which is another thing I love about it.
The social aspect of it is a big part of why I'm there. The girl who got me into snakes in the first place (she's my ferret breeder) is on there, & it's another way we keep in touch.
You can select different user to add to your "favorites" list, & you can make blogs only visable to your favorites, if you want. The favorites list also give you the ability to find your friends' pages pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsncorns View Post
I like it because it makes it so easy to organize, keep tracking records, and the classifieds are free. Its kinda like a mini-forum too. I guess if you have one snake its easier to keep track on your own, but its also a good back up just in case you lose that notepad or your computer crashes. I used to keep all my records on an excel file but I lost everything when my computer died. So iHerp is good for backing up your info.
You can transfer animals to a new owner, or have one transferred to you, so all of the previous records are already there, along with photos.
Aaron (the iHerp creator) is great about updating the site, & adding things that are requested, to make things easier for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmox View Post
I did it for 1 snake, it's just fun to see how fast he's growing Really surprises me when i see the first weight and length measurements i ever took of it and look at the current weight
This is fun to watch as well. You also automatically show off your animals when you add new pics, they post on the main page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepLover1022 View Post
I only have one snake but I have never been a pen and paper person. I love the online tracking. It's so simple. Plus you can find people with the same species of snake as you very easily.
There's also an online mobile link you can use (I use on my Droid) http://iherp.mobi/default.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
I'm on there too, a relative newbie there. It's a nice site even if all you do is put up pictures. I find it's a nice way to be able to store all the info, pics etc on each snake. When I need a pic of a snake for an ad or anything I can even pick from 3 different pic sizes so I have kinda been using it to resize stuff. I don't really use the tracking on there because that's just too much data entry for me but do enjoy the blogs and questions.
I have several snakes & I use the batch feed all the time. It has a box to check for sheds, cleaning & defecating too, on the batch feed. I don't track defecating or cleaning, & I don't *always* log the shed dates, but I'm fairly good about keeping records on iHerp.

The iHerp community is huge, & you will see in the blog posts that they come together to help each other out.
There's an iHerp hoodie that Aaron put together & ordered. He placed pre-orders not too long ago, & I think there will be some extras sold. I ordered mine & hope to get it within the next week or two.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:29 AM   #9
Shiari
I'm on there. I love that site! Don't update it as often as I should, especially with the various foster animals I've had recently.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:40 AM   #10
MysticExotics
It really is a great site, isn't it?
I think everyone should be on iHerp

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google