CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

king snake influence in tessera morph?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #41
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by yojoe05 View Post
Do you think tessera is a hybrid trait or is it truely a corn specific gene?
I think said seller is just causing chaos in the cornsnake world for his own nefarious purposes.

Until Don says otherwise, I'll consider my Gartersnake as pure as the cornsnake I picked up in my yard in 2005.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #42
Mitchell Mulks
Nanci, what nefarious purpose could he have that would instigate a claim that reduces the value of his BEST SELLING morph (per Joe's comment to me months ago)? Why does his theory have to be malicious in its origin? Why can't this just be something Joe believes strongly in enough to share with his peers; AND to also take all of the negative and angry criticism from his peers as a direct result of his beliefs.

Why can't we share unpopular thoughts and hypotheses with others in the corn trade without being labeled nefarious or have our characters assaulted?

All Joe did was share his thoughts. He blamed no one, nor did he accuse anyone of wrongdoing.

Once again, just my thoughts. I'd just like to see people in our community be able to express their thoughts without others persecuting them for doing so.

Mitch

Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #43
Nanci
I guess I just judge people by their past history. That doesn't mean everyone has to agree with me.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #44
airenlow
Not everybody with these theories has Joe's horrible reputation...

Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #45
Nanci
Plus, as proven by BHB, you can sell a lot more cheap Tesseras than expensive ones.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #46
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
Not everybody with these theories has Joe's reputation...
But Joe is apparently the first one to go on KS and say hey, please buy my Tessera jungle corns, so to speak.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #47
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I think said seller is just causing chaos in the cornsnake world for his own nefarious purposes.

Until Don says otherwise, I'll consider my Gartersnake as pure as the cornsnake I picked up in my yard in 2005.
Nancy, ....and I will also state that your Tessera's entire head shape, head pattern, face, labials and body color is again, as SOLID P.guttatus as there ever could be.........and nothing CLOSE to displaying any L.g.californiae. This hybrid thing with the Tesseras is just plain ridiculous.

Ohhhhh!!, I guess these Tessera "hybrids" only maintain the striping of the San Diego striper, or Newport-Long Beach coastal aberrant Cal. king, but NONE of the other countless Cal. king characteristics.....

Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #48
Mitchell Mulks
"Cheap" and "tessera" are two words that are quickly becoming synonymous with each other. However, it's not theories like Joe's that are the cause, but instead it's the simple economics associated with a dominant gene. The tessera market has begun to crash, and it'll continue to plummet until prices reflect the ease of pairing one tessera male to dozens of females and having a hundred tessera hatchlings available in a single season.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #49
Mitchell Mulks
Doug, I greatly respect you, but in three to four generations of artificial selection, the majority of Kingsnake morphological characters (I.e., snout, labials, etc.) can be removed from a line. That's the power of artificial selection; rapid morphological change in just a few generations. Even in the early 1800's breeders working with hybridizing pigeons remarked how they could make traits of one of the originating species disappear in a line, all the while reveling in how the single trait they were selecting for in that parental species was all that remained.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #50
DMong
Someone please show me these corn x Cal. king hybrids that will consistently look like all the countless Tesseras in the hobby after being bred back to more unrelated normal cornsnakes?????

There is no way in HELL that 50% would be absolutely textbook normal phenotypes and 50% whacky Tessera phenotypes if they were Cal. king x corn hybrids. Has anyone given any thought to how asinine this theory is, or is it just me???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google