CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Heating Corn Snake Enclosure, Newbie With Question

Old 02-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
Jacob_Decook
Smile Heating Corn Snake Enclosure, Newbie With Question

Hi All,

I recently got my first reptile, an 8 year old corn snake, craigslist re-home.

I am unsure as to whether or not my heating is currently adequate, I will start off giving a description of my tank set up.

Exo Terra Large Low (36'' L, 18'' W, 12'' H),
Homemade substrate blend,1 part leaf litter, 1 part sphagnum, 1 part play sand, 2 parts organic potting soil (no vermiculite or added ferts) 2.5 inches deep
1 inch egg crate false bottom
Large Water dish far side from heat,
cool side and warm side hide
I am using a homemade "Good Stuff" spray foam background with coco fiber adhered via 100% silicone
Humidity between 40-50%

Heating:

Exo Terra Heat mat - 16W – 26,5 x 28 cm / 10" x 11" – Gallon Size: 30-40, This applied to side of tank as my substrate is deep and I am using an egg crate false bottom.

60 Watt Ceramic Heat Emitter (on a thermostat) on same side as heat mat, raised about 1.5 inches above the screen lid.

Reading the temps with an infrared heat gun, the ground on the cool side of the tank is about 70 degrees, and the warm side is about 75 degrees, however under the ceramic heat emitter, on top of his hide there is a basking spot with a temp of 100 degrees. (I have put my hand up to the screen and left it there for several minutes to make sure it would not get uncomfortably hot)

My question is; is it ok that my warm side is only 75 degrees because he has a basking area he can use to thermoregulate? Or do I need to find a way to raise the overall temperature of the warm side?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help

Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
I've never seen too many people have much luck placing the heat pad on the side of the tank.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
Twolunger
Considering your setup you have an adequate vivarium, but you are limited as to what you can do for heat. Side heat has been used by my friends to raise the ambient temperature in a somewhat closed vivarium for pythons that require heat and humidity. It's not usually recommended for corns. With your setup you don't have many options. I would use a rheostat or dimmer to reduce the heat from the ceramic emitter to 85 degrees at the hide.
Assuming the corn will sit on the hide to increase its body heat.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
DeuceRon
Agree as well. Provide the heat from the bottom and put the hide on top of it. They love heat, but not too much. Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
che, enclosure, heat pad, heating, thermoregulate