CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

To List Poss Hets or To Not List Poss Hets...

Old 01-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
Lore
To List Poss Hets or To Not List Poss Hets...

Yes, that is the Question.

Be it a listing on CS.com or on a breeder website, Do you "like" to see the poss hets listed, or is it better to just be surprised by poss hets, or to have it listed on the snake info sheet that gets mailed with your new acquisition?

Would a listed Poss Het persuade you more to get a particular snake only to be "possibly" dissapointed by the possible het not being present when it comes to breeding time?

Or does just being oblivious to a poss hets just keep you from a sea of confusing possible outcomes

Just curious, doing some research before the time comes for me to be selling wee hatchlings.

Thanks for any input you can provide to the topic.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
jazzgeek
List 'em all, sez I. More information for the "consumer", as it were.

That way, you can test possible hets after you've built up stock from desired projects.

regards,
infojunkie

Old 01-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
ArpeggioAngel
Personally I like knowing the possible hets up front. Makes it easier for me to decide potential breeding pairs to test out those possible hets. A couple of the snakes I have purchased I did so because of the possible hets they carry and the great babies I could produce if they do carry those particular hets.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
SaulsMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lore
Would a listed Poss Het persuade you more to get a particular snake only to be "possibly" dissapointed by the possible het not being present when it comes to breeding time?
I am very easily amused, but this was possibly the funniest sentence I've recently read on the possibility of discovering a poss het. Perhaps it is possible that I'm a touch loopy tonight.

SaulsMom

Old 01-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
Weebonilass
Hets are the ONLY reason I bought little Gailleann... without VMS listing her hets, I wouldn't have taken a second glance at her, which would have been a real same.

I'll be looking at whole picture this summer as I start looking for possible mates for my three, esp. what they are het for.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
Tom Tuttle
I concur with Jazz's statement!

Old 01-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
dionythicus
I think it's unfair not to list potential hets, and maybe little unethical. It's like you're hiding something when there's no reason to. I always look at hets and poss hets when I'm buying. Otherwise, I'd be mixing and matching pairs with no clue what to expect.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
mike17l
Deffinately needed if you are selling an animal. It may not increase the price, but it may help you insure that you make the sale for the amount you want. I would not have chocolate emory if there was not a chance (66%) that they were het albino.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #9
Lore
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionythicus
I think it's unfair not to list potential hets, and maybe little unethical. It's like you're hiding something when there's no reason to. I always look at hets and poss hets when I'm buying. Otherwise, I'd be mixing and matching pairs with no clue what to expect.

Wow... that's abit harsh, I wouldnt call not posting "POSSIBLE" hets as being unetical. Heck... look at the Larger breeder operations, You buy from them mostly only based on the Homo traits, you can request background info so you can discover the possible hets, some that charge a fee for such info, some that dont, based on how large their operation is.

I have always planned on posting hets and poss hets on my hatchlings, but I was curious as to how many people even cared about POSSIBLE hets

Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #10
kathylove
Because I advertise in Reptiles Magazine, I sell to a LOT of complete beginners. Even when I list only the definite hets, they will email me back, calling the snake a butter, lav, etc, rather than a butter or lav het. I always correct them as I don't want them to be disappointed a year from now when they show their "butter" or "lav" to somebody who knows snakes and says "hey, that's just a normal corn!". So I will tell a novice customer that it is definitely carrying whatever is 100%, and possibly carrying other hidden traits, but I don't say which traits are the possibles unless they ask. It is just too confusing for those just starting out. You need to gauge your customer's interest, experience, and ability to best fit both the snake, and the info about it, to him / her.

If a customer really wants to know, or obviously won't be confused by the whole thing, it is a great idea to tell them whatever surprises might be in store, as far as your info allows you to.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google