CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Not corn snake related but I need help figuring out what snake this is!!!!!

Old 01-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
Dragonling
I agree, dekay's brown snake. Petsmart carries nightcrawlers. He might even go for red wigglers.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
Twolunger
It does look like a DeKay's Brown snake. If you can't find earthworms I bought mealworms and superworms at the local pet shop. I fed the worms that had just molted to the snakes. The snakes can't resist chasing them down and the white color got their attention fast. You can keep a colony of the worms going all winter until you can release the snake, or just buy more if needed. The superworms are larger, but their exterior coating is softer than the mealworms.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn View Post
I thought garter snake too but it doesn't have the dorsal stripe and only part of the lateral. Plus its belly is a really dark gray, is that common? He's a lot darker than in those pictures and his scales look kind of spread out and quite rough.
There are a lot of varieties of Garter snakes. They don't always have the stripe(s). In fact the "Western Version" looks nothing like the ones we find here in Tennessee. If you Google Search Western Garter Snakes and switch to the "Pictures Options" you will see dozens of pictures, several of which look just like the critter here.

And being in Montana, (Montana = Western and Cooler), that's what leads me to believe that's what it is.

You can also go to YouTube and search how to feed pet garter snakes and get some ideas on what to do. They are primarily fish eaters, but will eat worms and frogs too.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #14
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
There are a lot of varieties of Garter snakes. They don't always have the stripe(s). In fact the "Western Version" looks nothing like the ones we find here in Tennessee. If you Google Search Western Garter Snakes and switch to the "Pictures Options" you will see dozens of pictures, several of which look just like the critter here.

And being in Montana, (Montana = Western and Cooler), that's what leads me to believe that's what it is.

You can also go to YouTube and search how to feed pet garter snakes and get some ideas on what to do. They are primarily fish eaters, but will eat worms and frogs too.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gart...hrome&ie=UTF-8

There is a LOT of variety in garter snakes, so finding one without a dorsal stripe would not be all that unusual, I would think.

But honestly, I never did much with garter snakes beyond catching them as a kid, so I am just guessing and an ID.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #15
bushsnake
Wandering Garter snake, Thamnophis elegans vagrans

Old 01-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #16
Karl_Mcknight
garter snake care and feeding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew7IS2VXMag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwqQMbQ656o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEUMxpEUjQU

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google