CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

2010 elections...

Old 02-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #21
Rich Z
Unfortunately, I believe that the government will NEVER voluntarily give up their power and the money they take from us to wield that power. Certainly them MAKING the power to create money and spend money that just does not exist will be another perk quite difficult to wrest from their grubby little claws.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #22
wade
Unfortunately, you may be right Rich. I have heard the extremist from both sides talk about the total failure of the government for years, but now I’m hearing it from mainstream America type people. People are tired of it and grumbling. People are afraid, worried about the future. And with some justification. We all know people who are out of work or have lost their homes to the banks. That is pretty scary. We haven’t seen a time like this since the Great Depression. I worry about my kids. What if they loose their jobs and can’t make the house payments? Will I have enough money to bail them out? I don’t know.

Obama has been in office for one year. That is not enough time to turn everything around and make the world rosy. But it is enough time to make a step in the right direction. I don’t believe he has done that. In fact I think he is running in the wrong direction. And that worries me a lot.

As the tension mounts and the people grumble the spring is wound tighter. When the announcement is made that there will be no money for Social Security, there will be blood in the street.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #23
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nroc View Post
We'll get nowhere as long as we are all looking for someone else to blame. How about we blame ourselves?
Unfortunately, this is absolutely correct! We've been voting for folks who promised us more & more government services while promising not to raise our taxes. The only way to deliver on both of those promises is deficit spending. This has been going on since the Great Depression more-or-less continuously, so blaming it all on the current POTUS is exaggerating, but he certainly doesn't seem to be trying to move us in the direction of living within our means.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #24
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Unfortunately, you may be right Rich. I have heard the extremist from both sides talk about the total failure of the government for years, but now I’m hearing it from mainstream America type people. People are tired of it and grumbling. People are afraid, worried about the future. And with some justification. We all know people who are out of work or have lost their homes to the banks. That is pretty scary. We haven’t seen a time like this since the Great Depression. I worry about my kids. What if they loose their jobs and can’t make the house payments? Will I have enough money to bail them out? I don’t know.

Obama has been in office for one year. That is not enough time to turn everything around and make the world rosy. But it is enough time to make a step in the right direction. I don’t believe he has done that. In fact I think he is running in the wrong direction. And that worries me a lot.

As the tension mounts and the people grumble the spring is wound tighter. When the announcement is made that there will be no money for Social Security, there will be blood in the street.

I agree with everything in this post. But, I don't have kids. I know that if I was not able to make my rent payments and got thrown out on the streets, there is no way that my parents could afford to help me out much. They had to borrow from me last year to pay the IRS. Though they are slowly paying me back...

Old 02-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #25
Rich Z
I think most people know I am a gun nut. I don't particularly care to kill things, unless it is needful, and mostly just like them for the technical expertise necessary to firstly make such a device that can throw pieces of lead accurately, and secondly, to be able to master the personal skills necessary to come as close as possible to making five pieces of lead go through the same hole in the paper target.

And certainly I like the fact that having a gun gives me a little bit more emphasis to saying "NO" to a burglar, mugger, or anyone else inclined to take something from me that isn't their's and I desire to keep myself. Including government agents.

So with all this gloom and doom apparently heading our way because of government malfeasance, it does give you pause to wonder WHY the government apparently is making ever more restrictions on our ability to stand our ground and say "NO" to them. Do you ever stop and think that perhaps they have in mind things that they would REALLY like us to NOT be able to say "NO" to? I mean, it's not like things like this haven't happen in other countries in years past, and I hope no one is foolish enough to believe that "it can't happen HERE!"

Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #26
medusacoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I mean, it's not like things like this haven't happen in other countries in years past, and I hope no one is foolish enough to believe that "it can't happen HERE!"
It has happened here, though long ago. If you remember, the British were sent to Concord to confiscate American arms and gunpowder. If you think about it, that was our government at that time. Who is to say that our government, now, couldn't do the same?

It's kind of like a comet or asteroid hitting this planet. It's not a matter of "if", but a matter of "when". The loss of liberty is a process. In our case, a slow process. People don't realize that it's happening, while it's happening, but when it happens and is gone, it's probably gone for good. Then all we can do is gripe about it.

I just hope it doesn't happen in my children's lifetime, but fear it could happen in mine.

Wayne

PS. In case your interested

Old 02-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #27
Rich Z
Having all my guns confiscated and my freedom taken away from me will NOT happen in my lifetime.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #28
tsst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Having all my guns confiscated and my freedom taken away from me will NOT happen in my lifetime.
Ditto! (10 chars)

Old 02-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #29
wade
I am afraid it will not happen in a lot of our life times. I hope it never comes to the test.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google