CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Cleaning up the den....

Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
pridecity
Gah... I keep trying to go through all these darn boxes that are sitting everywhere. I'm actually doing it now because I want to move my oscar cichlid to my bedroom and eventually find all the dog toys that are in the 20 zillion pet boxes.

I'm offering anyone who can organize better than me a temporary job. The payment will be the spiciest enchiladas you'll ever eat and the sweetest spice cake in the world. Lol.

Back to my pigsty!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #12
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
Was it a rock band?
Not really. I think the term was "Top 40" back then. Basically the tunes that were playing on the radio currently and for the past few years. I played mostly the night clubs where people wanted to get drunk and dance. My one regret was that I never actually got to play a summer at Ocean City. Got REAL close one year, but the base player and lead guitarist went flaky on us and it killed the band at the wrong time.

I'm looking forward to playing around with music again. I'm thinking I could maybe write my own scores for the video stuff I play with rather than trying to massage canned tunes into shape. Probably be a while, though, as the keyboard seems pretty foreign to me after being away from it for so long. I may find out that I just don't even have that feeble spark that I used to have...

Old 06-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #13
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
I cleaned my home office last year and found a huge stack of the green mailers from Glades Herp. Rich will remember. Anyone under 50 won't.
Heck, I may have old price lists from when I was a kid laying around here. From places like Ray Singleton, Hermosa Beach, etc. I also found an old price list called "FaunaClassifieds" from Bill Gillingham.

I'm looking at a pile of cables and who know what all else laying in front of the book case completely blocking the lower sections. No telling what is hiding back in those cubby holes.

That reminds me, a few years ago, Connie broke the little toe on one of her feet by walking into this disaster area and catching it on something. This place is a death trap, I tell ya! Heck, I will probably come down with black lung disease just from all the dust.....

And that reminds me... One night I was working late on the computer and I stretched my legs underneath the table and my foot went into a pile of papers. I felt something REALLY strange on my toe, so pulled it out quickly to find a centipede wrapped between my toes. Man that really freaked me out! I don't know if he bit me or not, but I didn't have anything like a reaction. The tingling was probably all psyco-somatic, I'm guessing.

So yeah, I just might find some snakes in here..... But trust me, I will NOT take video of them if I do....

Old 06-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #14
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Smith View Post
What year were the lists from you recently found Rich?

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!
The ones I found were from 1994 and 1995. These were in envelopes that had been returned by the post office as being nondeliverable to the addressees.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Gronk
Neat story Rich, I've got boxes of stuff I've saved since grade school stacked in boxes in the basement. I moved a lot in the past but always saved it all.

I'd been into comic books all my life, was even an Assistant manager in one years ago. About 10 years ago I found a pricelist from about 1972. This was when the only way to buy a comic was at the local drugstore more or less. Most kids read them and eventually they got tossed. I used to tear the covers off the ones I liked most to make posters for my wall...lol.....

I was maybe 10 years old and had found an ad for a guy selling "back issues" of comics. The idea of it was neat to me. The idea a comic could cost $5 was bizzare, but I think Amazing Fantasy #15 <firts Spider-Man> was maybe $20. Now it sells for god only knows....$75,000, maybe $100,000 ?

Anywho....yeah, what you can find when you're a pack rat is....entertaining to say the least.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #16
starsevol
Quote:
I cleaned my home office last year and found a huge stack of the green mailers from Glades Herp. Rich will remember. Anyone under 50 won't.
I'm under 50 (barely) and I remember those! I had a subscription to this mailer and it was back when Bill and Cathy owned part of Glades Herp, and Kathy used to have her own section of cornsnakes if I remember correctly. The mailer was bright green. This was before I got my first reptile, Toby my bts in 1994. He passed away this past April.

I was addicted to this mailer!!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #17
El Jefe
Quote:

I'm under 50 and remember those from the 90's....but that was after Bill and Kathy left if I remember correctly.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
o7sugar
Rich, I can totally relate!! Unfortunately I'm not even close to 50 yet and I have a huge problem with organization. Always have, and I think I always will. Part of it is too, that when you start diving into whatever the project is that your trying to neaten up and organize, well at least for me, I tend to remenisce and hours will fly by because it's like, "oooooh look at this!!" , Oh my gosh--I haven't seen this in years!!" Holy Crap--I remember this!!!"
So keep on truckin while the motivations hot, because I can tell you from experience that the "hottness" factor doesn't last too long.
Congrats on finding one of your love's again too by the way. I have a VERY simple keyboard that I'm going to be teaching myself how to play. I had started to about 5 years ago, and than stopped, but I've been dying to get back into it again.
Here's to us ratpackers, avalancha-holics, borderline hoarders Tho we try really hard not to be!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
kathylove
Very nostalgic!

You almost sound like Andy Rooney at the end of 60 Minutes, Rich! You're not THAT old, haha!

I am expecting to see some very old and nostalgic stuff if we ever get this place sold, and have to go through all of the old stuff in boxes out in the storage building. There will be a lot of stuff to throw away, unfortunately!

We started Glades Herp at the very end of '89. Not sure when we put the first list out - end of '89 or into '90. We were part owners until 1996, then Rob carried on without us. We started with that bright green as our trademark color right from the beginning. Most of the time we were there, the Internet was not a real factor yet. Soon after we left, it really changed everything A LOT. Glades did have a website back when most people still weren't sure what it was all about yet. Bill's little "Shoptalk" section of the green list was what alerted the brand new Reptiles Magazine to his existence, and led to him being one of the very first columnists that they signed on for their new magazine.

Those were the days, back when we were actually making a living, lol!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google