CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Mobile App

Old 11-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #1
alinech20
Mobile App

Hey guys, I've been thinking about developing an app for the reptile owners for easier record keeping of their data (pets, sheds, feedings, cleaning, water changes and so on). I searched for an app like this and I've read the reviews on the apps I found but all of them had pretty serious bugs or missed important things (according to the reviews).

As I am a developer, a snake owner and a member of this great community, I thought that, with your help, I could do it (although it is my first mobile app ever ). The thing is I do not have a lot of time to invest into this, as I already work as a full time programmer, but once or twice a week I can add a few more lines of code.

That being said, I cannot guarantee that I will finish it (at least not too soon), but I'd love to hear what you would expect from an app like this. For the very first version, I'd like to just cover the basics (as I'm getting used to mobile development) like:

Pet details (species, name, date of birth, gender)
Feeding: plan the next feed, when you feed you'll be able to add info like the item (pinky, fuzzy, etc), quantity, weight and also some notes that you might want to add
Shedding: you'll be able to choose if it was a full shed or not and to add notes
Weight and Length
Cleaning: date of the last viv cleaning
Water change: last water change
Vet visits: date of the visit, symptoms, treatment

In the future I'd like to develop it even more to be able to add vets for exotic pets and to search for this kind of vets in your area, maybe a module of discovering other users, messaging and so on, a section of articles about pet caring etc. But at the moment, I want to cover the basics, or I'll quickly get demotivated wanting to do the best thing in the world and I'll end up doing nothing

I'd love to hear what things you consider that are an absolute must for an app of this kind. I'll also need some name suggestions. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
DLena
I would love an app that I could use like a calendar to notify me of who needs to be fed what and when. I have several species, and a wide range of ages and sizes and little post-it’s stuck on my vibe to remind me. It has to be easier. Lol

Old 11-27-2017, 04:51 AM   #3
Gryffyd
Take a look at Snake Keeper in the iOS App Store as a place to start, it has a free version that you can add one snake to so you don't have to fork anything out to see it. I'm using it to track weight, feeds, sheds etc. but it hasn't been updated in 3 years so I'm expecting it to stop working with the latest iOS sooner or later.
Cleaning and water change is something it doesn't do, which I think would be good, plus the ability to set reminders (as I get older I need more and more reminders )
It does have the ability to export your data to an excel file, which I think would be extremely handy, especially if you're transferring snakes to someone else.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:10 AM   #4
alinech20
Hey Gryffyd, as I have an Android phone, I only searched for Android apps, but I'll check it out. First I'll develop the app for Android only, but there will also be a web app, so you'd be able to access it in a web browser, too. After I have a basic version of the Android app, I'll look into iOS development too, so that we'll have it on all the popular platforms.

Regarding the reminders, yes, I plan on sending notifications to the user for every thing he planned. I think this would be especially useful for the breeders, as they have many snakes and they must remember when and what to feed every one of them.

I was thinking on sharing screenshots with you guys during the development process, so that you'll see what the app will look like and what it will be able to do. Also, I think it would be easier for you to share your thoughts, feedback, suggestions if you see the pics.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
lazarin
i would use the heck out of this haha. right now i'm just using a calendar app to manage everything, & a dedicated snake/pet care app would be a big help.

on my paper calendars i use stickers to mark different tasks so i don't have to write them out every time, and the colours make it easy to see at a glance what's coming up. i'd love to have something similar in an app. just my 2¢!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Old 11-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
Dragonling
Reptile Scan for Android and iOS has been around for a few years and is pretty thorough. My SO has been tinkering with ideas for a web tracker for my own personal use, with the idea of making a mobile version of the site, but I don't know if we would release it for public use.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google