CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Router died today....

Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Rich Z
Router died today....

Damn... had a hellacious storm blow through late this afternoon. Power went out for a few hours and when it came back on, I found that my router was dead. I unplugged the Comcast cable from the cable modem, since I lost network stuff before from that source of electrical turbulence. But to no avail this time. The router is dead as a brick for some reason. So I have to plug my system directly into the cable modem to get internet access to it. Guess I have to trace the cable for my email system so I can download emails as well. Of course, I can't print anything, because I have both printers hooked up as network devices. I probably could switch one of them to a USB connect, but something tells me if I do that, the system may never recognize it again as a networked device.

BTW, does anyone know the max distance of an ethernet cable run? I would like to run a cable to the ex-reptile building and put a switch in there so I can move at least one system over there, but still have access to the local network I have in the house. Unless there is a way to get a gigabit connection via wireless and have a range of about 150 feet.

Sigh... guess I've got to run out tomorrow to find another D-Link router to swap out the dead one. Since both CompUSA and Circuit City went kaput in Tallahassee, there are very few options to find computer paraphernalia locally any longer. There is a Best Buy that has a fair selection, but I often walk out of there empty handed, it seems. And an HHGregg that is pretty much useless. Office Depot is SUPPOSED to have them in stock, but we'll see.... If I don't find one locally, then I will have to overnight one in from mail order or be stuck over the weekend in limp mode.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Cattsy
Ouch... Well good luck on the router issues...

As for the ethernet, maximum working length is about 100 feet... anything over that and you're looking at signal degredation without an active device.

WIreless is still probably your best bet... Wireless N though is only 256 mb...

Old 07-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
cornsnakeforsale_com
I was thinking, who names a snake "router"?

Best Buy isn't that bad. I almost worked there once. OK, you're right... they suck. But they're there.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
tsst
I think Cattsy meant to say 100 meters (approx 328 feet) over cat6 for 100baset.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Cattsy
Ah! yes lol thanks for correcting that

Old 07-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Emanon
try calling out your company telling them that something is wrong... the truck guys may give you a new one... that is what my verizon guys said when I told them while they were out installing my fios tv stuff, I already have them for internet and told them how my router died.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
wade
I have run cat6 over 150 feet at my office without problem.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google