CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Mice genetics

Old 08-04-2004, 07:33 PM   #1
cornsnake234
Mice genetics

Does anyone here know something about mouse genetics!? I've read several site about it but it is much more complexe than cornsnake genetics and much harder to understand. So if someone could explain it, just the basics to me, i would be very happy!!

Also, i'm just curious, can you predict what color the babies of a black mouse with a white albinos mouse would give!? i will tell you the answer in few days!!

Old 08-04-2004, 09:03 PM   #2
chausies
genetics

I don't know which sites you have read, but my favourite is http://koti.mbnet.fi/haisulit/engp/bre_genetics_t.html . There really is too much to cover in a single post on here. There are several good websites, and a lot of good reading material provided by mouse clubs, but it does take some devotion to get through.

As for what a black mouse and albino mouse will produce, that depends on what each mouse may carry recessively and what the albino coat is masking. Most albino "feeder mice" are genetically black or brown agouti (wild type coloration) under the white coat. If neither mouse carries anything recessive, then in this case you will get black and brown agoutis. If the black mouse carries albino then you will also get some of those. Solid black is also recessive to brown agouti, so it is possible to get a litter of nothing but brown agoutis from a cross of albino masking brown agouti x black. In fact, an albino can even mask dominant colors (I had an albino that masked dominant spotting and got some lovely dom spotted babies from him crossed with a non-spotted mom.) The mice could also carry blue, chocolate, or any number of other recessive genes, but in order for them to have a baby of that color, both parents must carry the same recessive genes. There are some exceptions to this, which is where it gets really confusing.

Have fun exploring mouse genetics

Old 08-05-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
cornsnake234
Smile

WOW!! This site is very interesting!!

And thanks for the prediction, i will post a pic in few day of the final result!
For the moment, i see few black, and one albino but i'm not sure.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
Sasheena
I have a genetics section on my mousey website http://www.geocities.com/mousedomousery/

I haven't updated it in a while

Old 08-09-2004, 10:03 PM   #5
cornsnake234
Wink

Hey thanks Shashenna for the link!! Your site is very interesting too! and much easier to understand with several pics!

Here's the result of mixing my black male with my albinos female:
3 black, 2 beige!?!(i'm not sure) and 1 agoutti... the others babies are from my other female.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google