CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Usually active baby hiding all night

Old 03-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
Signa
Usually active baby hiding all night

Hey again. So normally my baby corn, Sithis is a pretty active little guy. During the day he mostly hides, but when it's close to night and I change his light to blue, he's an active little adventurer and will climb all over and explore. He ate last Saturday no problem and today is planned to be his next feeding. The problem is, last night he didn't leave his warm hide at all. What's more is even when he does spend a lot of time in his hide, he'll almost always have his head out the door. But he didn't last night. I woke up around 4 am and he was still in there, and again this morning. No little noodle noses to say good morning.

I've peeked in at him and he is moving around. Each time I've looked he's in a different position. I've also noticed lately that his face looks a bit weird. I'm not sure if it's aspen dust from all his digging, or early signs of shedding and I just don't realize it since this is all kind of new. I haven't seen his eyes grey out or "go blue" so I'm not sure if it's shedding. I took pictures the other day.

Should I still try and feed him today? Does he look sick, or deserving of a trip to the vet? Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
daddio207
Is that dry scale on his head?
When did he shed last ?

Old 03-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Signa
I've only had him for about 15 days, so I don't know when he last shed.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
smale492
He seems alert from what I can tell. Maybe he just isn't in the mood to wounder out. Babies don't normally like to go out into the open areas i have come to learn so maybe he just likes to sit in his hide and peak out. I do see the little specks that you are talking about but I can't tell what it is. Maybe if he does come out try and get more close up picks. My baby is a blizzard so I have never noticed stuff like that (his skin is pink/white) and I have never noticeably seen dry scales on my baby. Do you have a bowl big enough for him to soak him self in, and how is the humidity (I know it is still very dry where I am since it is still getting out of the winter months).

Regardless super cute baby

Old 03-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Signa
His bowl is large enough for him to soak, but I've never seen him do that. As for humidity we've kept it between 40-50. We live in a small apartment so we just adjust the humidity for the whole apartment and his in case gauges reflect about the same as our house ones. and the pics I took are about as close as I could get without taking him out of his cage. I'm still working on the handling thing.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signa View Post
His bowl is large enough for him to soak, but I've never seen him do that. As for humidity we've kept it between 40-50. We live in a small apartment so we just adjust the humidity for the whole apartment and his in case gauges reflect about the same as our house ones. and the pics I took are about as close as I could get without taking him out of his cage. I'm still working on the handling thing.
Hm ok well maybe just keep an eye on him for the next day or so to see if more stuff appears on his head or if is disappears. Also maybe note more behavior changes that seem more alarming if they occur. I personally would not be alarmed yet unless things seem very out of whack to you, but from what I have read it seems like he is still pretty new, and babies love their hides and him exploring so much could have just been him getting the lay of the land and now he is settling in.

Keep us posted.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
Signa
Quote:
Originally Posted by smale492 View Post
Hm ok well maybe just keep an eye on him for the next day or so to see if more stuff appears on his head or if is disappears. Also maybe note more behavior changes that seem more alarming if they occur. I personally would not be alarmed yet unless things seem very out of whack to you, but from what I have read it seems like he is still pretty new, and babies love their hides and him exploring so much could have just been him getting the lay of the land and now he is settling in.

Keep us posted.
I will, and thank you for the replies. Hopefully he's just going to shed and everything is fine

Old 03-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signa View Post
I will, and thank you for the replies. Hopefully he's just going to shed and everything is fine
Yes hopefully! Best of luck

Old 03-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #9
Karl_Mcknight
Most snakes "Hide more than Usual" prior to a shed.

However, you've only had the snake 15 days, so I'm going to say you really have no idea what "Usual" even means right now.

Snakes do what snakes do. I've had my current snake now over 2 years, and he still does things that "Are not Usual"....... or are they?

Old 03-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #10
Signa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Most snakes "Hide more than Usual" prior to a shed.

However, you've only had the snake 15 days, so I'm going to say you really have no idea what "Usual" even means right now.
Yeah, and that's what I keep telling myself. It takes time to learn a new animal, and an individual's behavior. that's part of why I wanted to ask if these are shed signs so I can know for the future as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google