CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

New snake

Old 04-22-2017, 11:02 PM   #1
kayjaypah
New snake

I just brought home a baby albino corn. I was reading that I should leave him be and not handle him for 5-7 days until he is used to his new home. Is that true? I would think it would be better to hold him at least once a day so he is used to me. Thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
DollysMom
Welcome kayjaypah! You heard right. Don't worry, the baby will start to get used to you soon enough. The little one needs some time to settle in. Though some people have a different opinion I think the vast majority of us leave our snakes strictly alone for at least 4 days after a move.

Why you ask (well you didn't but most of us do)? One is to let the snake rest from the stress of transport. Another is to let the snake explore and get used its new home in peace. Another is in case it was fed and is still digesting (especially possible from a pet store). Another is if the snake is in shed and you can't tell because they have cleared. (I have three snakes and two of them shed during the "rest" period.) Another is that if it is in error, it is better to err in giving your snake less stress than more.

As to handling, as soon as the rest period is over you can handle briefly each day your snake is not digesting or in shed. Small babies are skittish and both get used to handling and outgrow it. At a year your snake will be much more confident. Don't be surprised if your snake is rather skittish for months in spite of your gentle handling. This doesn't bother people who have experienced it before, but can be disconcerting to a new snake parent. Hiding is a baby's only defense so it is very deeply ingrained. Don't take it personally. Your snake will get used to you in time and will eventually know you mean no harm.

Most of us take a brief moment to examine the snake, hold it and take a picture or two when we first bring it home and then we strictly leave it alone for that rest period except for cleaning poop, shed, or supplying fresh water.

Best wishes. The rest period will go by quickly and when you look back years later it will seem like nothing at all.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
kayjaypah
Hi DollysMom, thanks for all of the information it was very helpful. I had read up a little and asked a ton of questions before bringing my snake home, so it surprised me to read that I shouldn't handle him really get away. The reptile sites owner, who seemed very knowledgeable, didn't mention that part. I appreciate any tips I can get. Thanks again! KJ

Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
DollysMom
Glad I could help. You can have lots of fun watching the first few days. Many snakes are more active than usual and do a lot of exploring the first few days. I've seen this in baby and adult corn snakes. But don't be worried if they go into a hide and stay there. That is more likely to happen if they are in shed unbeknownst to you at this point, but can just be the individual. They are usually more active just around dusk, especially just after.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
kayjaypah
Yes he/she was very active last night. It was fun to watch him explore. He seems to like his new forever home

Old 04-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
DollysMom
Awesome! Sounds like you are your new baby snake are off to a great start!

Old 04-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
kayjaypah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Awesome! Sounds like you are your new baby snake are off to a great start!

Here is a pic of the little guy from last nights explorations.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:35 PM   #8
DLena
What a lovely headstamp. You have a beautiful baby there! Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
DollysMom
What a cute baby snake! That's a wonderful picture.

I am a little concerned about the office paper bedding. No one that I know of uses it and I've heard that the ink may be unsafe and that small animals can get paper cuts. I wish I had someone to ask. I do know that plain paper towels are safe. There are other paper alternatives as well. I use aspen so I hope that someone with more experience with paper will weigh in with information. I don't know for a fact that it's bad for your snake, but I did want to voice a concern.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #10
kayjaypah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
What a cute baby snake! That's a wonderful picture.

I am a little concerned about the office paper bedding. No one that I know of uses it and I've heard that the ink may be unsafe and that small animals can get paper cuts. I wish I had someone to ask. I do know that plain paper towels are safe. There are other paper alternatives as well. I use aspen so I hope that someone with more experience with paper will weigh in with information. I don't know for a fact that it's bad for your snake, but I did want to voice a concern.

Thank you for bringing this up. I did ask the people at The reptile store before doing this. I would love for others to weigh in. I can definitely go pick up some aspen snake bedding if it is a necessity.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google