CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

New garage

Old 03-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
tstephe3
You can buy the ZR-1 and send it to me!

Lol, that's my dream car. Anyway, if you ever do get the ZR-1 I might be making a trip just to look and ride in it if ya don't mind.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
tstephe3
Crap, lost my shiney thing.... What was wrong with the new motor?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstephe3 View Post
Crap, lost my shiney thing.... What was wrong with the new motor?
If you have the time, this thread documents the whole story..... http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...ad.php?t=32739

Starts with my considering buying a new engine and brings you uptodate through the trials and tribulations I've been going through. As of today, I am waiting for the new block to be manufactured and delivered to LME (Late Model Engines) in Texas so they can spend the next two weeks machining the block to specs and installing the crankshaft, rods, pistons, etc....

Old 03-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
Rich Z
Connie and I got the last clear coat done yesterday. Only took about an hour and a half, so that was by far the easiest step in the process. The instructions recommended that the epoxy coats be done when there is no rain in the forecast for 12 hours, and we just barely made that one. Got done that second coat at 5pm yesterday, and some light rain moved in around 6 am or so.

I've got the process on video, but I can't get to the camcorder right now. I want the epoxy to cure SOLIDLY before I walk on it, so that also means I can't drag the step ladder in there to get my camcorder off of the wall mount in there.

All we need to do now is to take down all the plastic sheeting and remove any taping we did. That will be done in a few days, I guess.

We're going to give the curing process a solid two weeks before pulling any vehicles into the garage, so it will be a while yet before the vehicles can live in there again.......

Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
Rich Z
Well, I guess the epoxy has cured enough so I pulled in one of the vehicles. I checked over the floor and it looks like I missed several spots with that second coat of clear. But darn it was hard seeing that new coat when I put it down, so all things considered, I didn't do too badly. You really have to look to find those spots anyway. But I did two coats figuring that between the both of them, EVERY inch will get at least one coat of clear. Heck, one part of me wants to be the perfectionist and sand it down to apply another coat, but yet another side of me is saying, "Hey dummy! It's JUST a garage!"....

Old 04-01-2010, 01:45 AM   #16
stephen
Niice

As long as you used the right epoxy you will be fine,it looks awesome!
I have coated dog kennels with two part epoxy,it dont ever come off,at least not that I know of.We used to just throw away all the brushs and rollers after we used them because it was imposable to clean them.
Great Job !!!
I just noticed is that a hydraulic car lift on the one side?

Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
Jeff Linkchorst
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Me too. It looks Great. Now I am jealous over Rich's Garage

Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #18
insomniac101
Ok, now I'm jealous. Not only is your garage more square footage than my house, but that hoist puts it over the top (no pun intended)

Great job on the floors. Nice ride, too!

Kathy

Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #19
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
As long as you used the right epoxy you will be fine,it looks awesome!
I have coated dog kennels with two part epoxy,it dont ever come off,at least not that I know of.We used to just throw away all the brushs and rollers after we used them because it was imposable to clean them.
Great Job !!!
Yeah, I used a binary epoxy for both the color coats and the clear coats. I went with a product called UCoat-It. What I liked about their product was that the primer coat worked with a damp floor, so the epoxy would actually soak into the concrete and bond with it. Most other epoxy coatings required that the floor be bone dry, and most failures were caused by the floor not being absolutely dry.

Yes, that's a BendPak two post lift. I figured it would be an excellent toy to play with during retirement. I've always been a tool-a-holic.........

Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #20
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac101 View Post
Ok, now I'm jealous. Not only is your garage more square footage than my house, but that hoist puts it over the top (no pun intended)

Great job on the floors. Nice ride, too!

Kathy
Thank you.

Well, the building itself wasn't really all that expensive. But everything else needed (land clearing, concrete slab, erection of the building, electrical, etc.) quickly added up to nearly twice what the building itself cost. Honestly, if it hadn't been for the rodents chewing the hell out of the wiring in the vehicles, I wouldn't have done it. I like it now that I have it, but honestly I hated spending that much money for "rodent defense".

The lift was actually less expensive than I thought it would be. So I figured, "why not?"

Yeah, there are some things I would do differently if I had it to do all over again, but all in all it didn't turn out too badly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google