CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Cold...

Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Dinah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I moved some plants into the shed, but who knows if they are all right. So far, Coke hasn't frozen in my truck overnight, so hopefully the plants in the shed haven't frozen.
All of our plants are in the laundry room, but our banana tree which is in the ground because of it's size is now officially a lost cause. We had it covered and everything but it is done for . We are still watching the citrus trees closely mine seem to be fairing ok so far.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
snowman86
I can't imagine what damage could be taking place in citrus farms. I wouldn't think smoke pots and spraying water could save things in such extremes?
Warm thoughts for all of you but it's a little hard to relate when we have been in the negative ranges for weeks! I want to see video of iguanas falling out of trees.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #13
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman86 View Post
I can't imagine what damage could be taking place in citrus farms. I wouldn't think smoke pots and spraying water could save things in such extremes?
Warm thoughts for all of you but it's a little hard to relate when we have been in the negative ranges for weeks! I want to see video of iguanas falling out of trees.
Well, I've tried the spraying water on the tangerine trees in the past, but it seemed to make matters worse. Tree limbs broken because of the weight of the ice, and severe damage then done to the exposed trunk when the cold hits it. So I just let it be. If they die, oh well. It just wasn't meant to be. I REALLY enjoy the tangerines, though.... Seriously if you guys can find Poncan tangerines anywhere, BUY them. I've never tasted any citrus that was any better then them. You don't see them offered for sale much because evidently they don't last long once pulled from the trees.

Yeah, I'm thinking the Burmese pythons in south Florida might take a real hit from this cold. Not to mention a lot of other tropical species. I wouldn't mind it at all of the Cuban browns got exterminated and the greens made a comeback into their previous native range. We don't have Cuban browns where I am at, and I really enjoy the greens running all around. They are much more tolerant of humans being in close proximity to them.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #14
Rich Z
Arghhh.... Just checked the weather channel and they have lowered the forecast low tonight to 15 degrees.....

It's 34 degrees already this early.....

Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #15
Nanci
17 at my house this morning! I wonder how the tropical water lillies are liking their 40F water temps...Not only am I leaving faucets in outside walls dripping, but leaving the cupboard doors open, too, to keep the pipes warmer. I have one fig tree outside that dies back every year, but I bought another one this summer and kept it in a pot to see if I could bring it in and protect it on cold days. I guess this will really be a test. My tortoise burrow is 50F, with the heater.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #16
snowman86
Wow are your torts outside? Assume they are...how deep are they and how did you get a temp reading? I guess they might be man made rather than natural digs. What torts are they? Can they handle the cold?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #17
medusacoils
WOW, that's a whole lot of whimpering that is going on! LOL!! I woke up this morning to 6F outside and decided that it wasn't time for the winter jacket yet. I wore a hoodie to go out and drop my kids off at school. I believe we are supposed to reach a balmy 27F today and drop back to about 10F again tonight. Tomorrow is looking better though. They are predicting around 30F.

I do guess that Wade is right. It must be hard when your not used to it. I hope it gets better!

Wayne

Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #18
Rich Z
Man, I just HATE cold weather......

Old 01-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
scottsquatch
LOL, while you guys had your overnight lows in the teens....we were having 35-37 below at night with teens as our daytime highs! Northern Minnesota can be brutal eh?

Scott

Old 01-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsquatch View Post
LOL, while you guys had your overnight lows in the teens....we were having 35-37 below at night with teens as our daytime highs! Northern Minnesota can be brutal eh?

Scott
Yeah, for sure....

Back when Connie and I were living in Maryland, we were able to take vacations down to this area of Florida. Well on one trip we were getting ready to head back home and stopped in at one of those road side sellers selling fresh pecans. There was an old grizzled looking guy running it, and as he loaded the bags into the back of our Bronco, he noticed the license plate. So he thinks for a moment and then asks me, "Can I ask you something? Just why in the hell would anyone live up in the north anyway?" So I thought about this, and replied, "Well I guess my only excuse is that I was born up there and just don't know any better..." Which didn't seem a very satisfactory answer, but he just nodded his head, apparently in agreement with the "not knowing any better" part of my statement.

Certainly a very minor incident in my life, but actually was a seed planted that eventually did have a major impact....

Anyway, we got one rather nice day yesterday. I had to run to Blountstown to video the continuing engine build, but since the guy had an appointment in the afternoon, I got home around 2 pm. Spent the rest of the daylight hours working outside. Got up to around 67 degrees. Today is pretty crappy with rain starting last night and looking like it will continue into tomorrow. So it looks like the general forecast for this area is "Widely spread and generally crappy weather with scattered acceptable days." But at least the temps are forecast to stay above 40 degrees for a while. Highs mostly in the low to mid 60s, so this is more like Florida should be this time of year. At least in north Florida.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google