CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Chinese influence?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Nanci
So what if they demand payment, and we don't pay. What would they do??

Old 01-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
Outcast
Im just tired of us getting farther and farther into debt... I know this will make some people angry, but im trying to figure out where the 100 billion or so that Obama said we will give to Hati, is going to come from... My guess is China. Im all for helping the people of Hati, but we need to settle our debts before we can really be of any help. Because if we just keep borrowing from other countries, our government will no longer be in control and another country will come and take over. All we will be able to do is watch and wait for them to come to our house to take our stuff from us so we can pay a debt that we as a people didnt force ourselves to get in with trying to save the banks that were run by poor busnessmen and women anyways. Those banks should have just failed and died and let others rise in their place.... yeah it would have been hard on everyone, but we would have recovered in time and we wouldnt have owed anyone as much as we do.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
So what if they demand payment, and we don't pay. What would they do??
How many businesses would collapse if they could no longer import Chinese made goods? Heck, Walmart alone would be likely be dead in the water. How many people do they employ?

Since manufacturing has pretty much been gutted in this country, how long would it take to ramp back up if imports stopped overnight? Speaking of which, how much longer will it take for the manufacturing expertise itself to just evaporate in this country? Most people learned the trade by being an apprentice of someone who knew the trade. What happens when everyone who knew most of the trades is retired or dead? There quite likely are manufacturing processes that are only known by maybe a handful of people in this country. Once they are gone, it may then be impossible to ever become the producer of goods that the USA used to be.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
How many businesses would collapse if they could no longer import Chinese made goods? Heck, Walmart alone would be likely be dead in the water. How many people do they employ?

Since manufacturing has pretty much been gutted in this country, how long would it take to ramp back up if imports stopped overnight? Speaking of which, how much longer will it take for the manufacturing expertise itself to just evaporate in this country? Most people learned the trade by being an apprentice of someone who knew the trade. What happens when everyone who knew most of the trades is retired or dead? There quite likely are manufacturing processes that are only known by maybe a handful of people in this country. Once they are gone, it may then be impossible to ever become the producer of goods that the USA used to be.
You've been talking to that guy at Serpents Den, haven't you?
It sure sounds like a big conspiracy.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Im just tired of us getting farther and farther into debt... I know this will make some people angry, but im trying to figure out where the 100 billion or so that Obama said we will give to Hati, is going to come from... My guess is China. Im all for helping the people of Hati, but we need to settle our debts before we can really be of any help. Because if we just keep borrowing from other countries, our government will no longer be in control and another country will come and take over. All we will be able to do is watch and wait for them to come to our house to take our stuff from us so we can pay a debt that we as a people didnt force ourselves to get in with trying to save the banks that were run by poor busnessmen and women anyways. Those banks should have just failed and died and let others rise in their place.... yeah it would have been hard on everyone, but we would have recovered in time and we wouldnt have owed anyone as much as we do.
The thing that scares me even more then the USA getting further and further into debt to China is the probability that the Feds will just print up money with wild abandon to pay their debts. That is causing immense damage right now as it is. That's why our money is becoming worthless. Prices for goods are NOT going up in value (price). The simple fact of the matter is that our dollars are just becoming worth less and less every day.

I'm sure inflation appears to be a windfall to the government with the myopic view they normally have. Yeah, when people are spending money as fast as they can before it becomes worth even less tomorrow, they will pat themselves on the back and point to sales figures being robust, so their actions have cured the recession and saved the economy. Yay Feds! Meanwhile those people trying to be frugal and save their money for a rainy day wind up with money in the bank that won't be worth more than the heat it would make burning it all in the fireplace.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #16
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
You've been talking to that guy at Serpents Den, haven't you?
It sure sounds like a big conspiracy.
Nope. All my own thoughts. It really doesn't take a genius to look at the bigger picture and put two and two together....

Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
Outcast
well rich, I for one am really happy that i know how to survive off the land. I can trap my own food, i can fish, i can farm and i know how to hunt. I believe that if things ever do bet too bad i can just move my family into the mountains and take over a cave and live there... the bad thing about that is preserving foods for the winter.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #18
Nanci
Quote:
How many businesses would collapse if they could no longer import Chinese made goods?
But could China afford to lose their exports to us?? Seems like that would hurt them as much as them not exporting to us would hurt _us_.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
But could China afford to lose their exports to us?? Seems like that would hurt them as much as them not exporting to us would hurt _us_.
Would the government that COMPLETELY controls China really care about what it's people? How much of the money coming from the products sold to the USA actually goes to the Chinese government and is used for military purposes? If the Chinese government considers this as an economic war, how much of a protest from merchants will that government tolerate? China is FAR different from the USA concerning citizen's "rights".

I'm sure the powers that be in China find it quite amusing that they are using our own greed to conquer us.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
Nroc
Quote:
Surely you don't believe what the media tells us?

But even at 10 percent, do you think the USA treasury could pay that bill on demand?
We could sell off Hawaii or something

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google