CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

UTH and Thermostat use

Old 12-21-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
ZoologyGirl
UTH and Thermostat use

I've been searching for the proper way to set up a thermostat with a UTH and came across a few different variations. So I was wondering how exactly should a thermostat be set up with a UTH.

Should the probe be adhered directly to the UTH and both under the glass... Or should the probe go inside the tank above the UTH. The other way I've seen is putting the probe on top of the substrate above the UTH but I'm assuming this way is not correct [?].

Also, I've seen that these UTH come where they will self adhere to a tank. Are they removable and reusable once stuck on...or is it pretty much a one time sort of thing.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
Nanci
You might get away with carefully removing a stuck UTH once. Alternatively, you can stick it to a piece of floor tile, (haven't tried that myself) or attach it with aluminum tape that you can buy at Home Depot in the heating section. Have done that- it works great.

I use that same aluminum tape to stick the thermometer probe in the center of the UTH, in the viv, under the warm hide, directly on the glass, right next to the thermostat probe. A rambunctious snake can dislodge it, but the tape is quite unsticky by that point. It is the only tape I would consider using in a viv, and just because I do it doesn't mean you should do it. You can also tack it down with aquarium silicone. I've found that if you are getting odd temp readings, it's good to check to see if the probe has been knocked loose.

I use the two-probed thermometers from Big Apple, and put the other probe under the aspen on the cool side, or if I am running two vivs on the same thermostat, then I measure both warm sides.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoologyGirl View Post
Also, I've seen that these UTH come where they will self adhere to a tank. Are they removable and reusable once stuck on...or is it pretty much a one time sort of thing.
I removed and restuck a small Zoo-med UTH. It was not easy to remove, they stick quite well. I used a razor blade and pulled very carefully. When I removed it I kept the blade tight to the glass so the adhesive stayed on the heater, it restuck with no problem, .
I don't recommend it, use the tape if you might change it.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
bitsy
Quote:
Should the probe be adhered directly to the UTH and both under the glass... Or should the probe go inside the tank above the UTH. The other way I've seen is putting the probe on top of the substrate above the UTH but I'm assuming this way is not correct [?].
I place the stat probe in the tank, under the substrate, immediately over the position of the UTH. This regulates the hottest temperature surface that the snake has access to if it burrows. I keep the probe in place with a blob of BluTak, which doesn't seem to stick to snakes. They dislodge it now and again, but it's secure enough not to move around too much.

I usually find the temp on the surface of the substrate is a couple of degrees lower than the actual floor of the tank, but not enough to make a major difference.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Weebonilass
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
I place the stat probe in the tank, under the substrate, immediately over the position of the UTH. This regulates the hottest temperature surface that the snake has access to if it burrows. I keep the probe in place with a blob of BluTak, which doesn't seem to stick to snakes. They dislodge it now and again, but it's secure enough not to move around too much.

I usually find the temp on the surface of the substrate is a couple of degrees lower than the actual floor of the tank, but not enough to make a major difference.
This is what I do... the probe is next to the glass, I put the substrate over it and then sit one of the hides over top of it. I don't adhere it down in anyway though... the only snake that has dislodged it is, Kieran and at over 700 grams, he's only done it once. I also don't fasten the UTH to the glass. It's on the surface with the tank slightly raised over the top of it so it doesn't cut into the wiring. The things are too expensive too replace!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google