CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Which Snakes Can Live together?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #41
SnakeAround
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus View Post
My corns are in racks with equivalent floor space of a 20 gallon long. This is industry accepted standard. We will be moving the largest females and king and ratsnakes into 2' x 2' animal plastics cages this Spring.

The boids all have their own cage, with the smallest, a yearling ball python, being in a 2' x 2' cage, while our largest guys are in 4' x 2'.

If a 20L or equivalent rack is all you need to house them individually, why not do it?
I'm not used to the 20L size, can you tell me the size of the floor space?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #42
Hypancistrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutengel View Post
I'm not used to the 20L size, can you tell me the size of the floor space?
In US inches it's 30" x 12". In metric, approximately 75 cm x 30 cm. Industry standard for an adult corn.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #43
ZoologyGirl
Quote:
Can I ask you about the sizes of their individual vivs?
As of right now I have the little/young ones in 10 gallon aquariums (I believe that is 20x10 inches or 51x25 cm), and the adults in 20 gallon Long aquariums (30x12 in or 76x30 cm). I keep my black milksnakes and green tree python in appropriate sized rubbermaid tubs, and when I get more cornsnakes I will be moving to a rack system using the rubbermaid type tubs and using my aquariums more for favorite/showpiece corns.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #44
SnakeAround
If I split the floor space of my co-habbed corns by 2, they even have more floor space individually then your separately housed corns and thus the industry standard (they are in 90 x 60 cm vivs). So, obviously saving space is not the reason, at least not at my accommodations, as mentioned earlier. IMO, my larger corns need more space to roam around, so I co-hab for the opposite reason: providing more available space per snake actually I am not putting 2 snakes in a 1 snake sized viv, that's what many people think apparently when they hear people co-hab their snakes.

The rack system in the best way to provide large floor space for many animals I think, but I have done that and did not like that. I like to see my corns wander around and doing their thing. Maybe it was the design of the rack I used but the humidity was too high for my corns. Further I read that their had been tests for fungus on the skin of snakes in racks versus vivs, and that showed there was much more fungus present on the skin of racked snakes. That did it for me; no more racks for me.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #45
Hypancistrus
Quote:
If I split the floor space of my co-habbed corns by 2, they even have more floor space individually then your separately housed corns and thus the industry standard (they are in 90 x 60 cm vivs).
What happens if one of them regurges? Or if you notice an unusual fecal deposit that seems to indicate parasites?

You then have to treat both snakes even though only one might be infected.

This doesn't even begin to take into account the risks of accidental breedings of too-young animals, nor the risk of two males becoming aggressive with one another. All of these are risks that the average new keeper may not be aware of.

Again, in my opinion, I see no reason to house two snakes together when they generally do not prefer to be together in the wild and it is so easy and inexpensive to house them seperately.

As far as racks go, I've noticed no difference in my corns behaviors in racks versus vivariums. I would eventually like to move all of ours to cages, but that will be for ME... I like the ability to see into the snakes cages, and racks don't quite offer unlimited viewing. I don't think the snakes will care one way or the other. They have warmth, food and dark places to watch without being seen. That seems to be all my corns want one way or the other.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:22 PM   #46
wickee
seriously

I love it when people make these declarative statements. Snakes are solitary. Snakes avoid each other. Snakes are stressed by each other. That is not always the case and making those absolute statements makes people sound foolish. Let's go to nature shall we When I lived in florida I would go out herping all the time. Turn over a board, 4 corn snakes. Yup they could have all picked a different place but here they were. That was a frequent occurrence by the way not a random exception. There was a large abandoned building that had never been completed. I used to go out there and inside there were always corns and yellow rats everywhere in the rafters. Frequently right next to each other. Yup. They had all that space in the building. Room enough that none of them ever had to see each other and yet many were clumped in the same areas near each other. So give a rest. Some snakes under the right conditions can live together with no problem whatsoever. AT least that's what nature says. I guess some people here know better.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #47
Twolunger
It's nice to see a member going back into the archives. I recommend the search function, but few actually use it. It's a well known fact that several snakes can be found together in Gopher tortoise dens. Some time back I mentioned that I saw a coachwhip laying on top of a black racer along the side of my house. I wanted to see if they were actually breeding, but they moved off quickly. Another thing was your statement that you saw snakes in the rafters of the abandoned building. Typically I herp with my eyes along the ground, but a fellow herper told me he finds corns in the branches of trees. I have since been checking out the trees too, but haven't found anything yet.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #48
MysticExotics
The difference is in captivity, they do not have the ability to get any further from the other end of the enclosure.
It's not a problem until it is.
Experienced keepers can recognize signs of stress, new keepers generally don't see the signs.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:16 AM   #49
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
It's nice to see a member going back into the archives.
Idk, I've never been fond of necro posts, especially when there's an 8 year gap in comments.

Snakes may choose to cuddle up in prime locations, but they don't actively choose to be stuck in a tub or tank with a permanent roommate. For many species this isn't a real problem, and for some it may even be welcome (e.g. Thamnophis), but it does require a somewhat more careful eye on the part of the keeper. I'm in the if-you-don't-know-what-you're-doing-don't-do-it camp, nestled snugly next to if-you-have-to-ask-you-probably-don't-know-what-you're-doing.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:15 PM   #50
SLJensen
"Snakes may choose to cuddle up in prime locations, but they don't actively choose to be stuck in a tub or tank with a permanent roommate."

I'm not sure that any of my snake actually are "wanting" to live in my cages. If I were to give them what they actually need then they would be out in the wild.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
housing