CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Cohabbing Misfortunes.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #81
kells
i think that vivarium is a better option for snake than small racks, it is interesting how in my country people judge keeping snakes in the racks, and on the other hand, keeping them in that way is aceptable in your country, i can ashure you that nobody in our forums and among snake keepers that i know, didnt have any problem with co-habitated corns. Is it because they kept in big vivariums with lots of hiding and klimbing spots, or just pure luck, i really dont know. I have female ball python , 3 years old, she was my first snake, i didnt have corns until few weeks , but all breeders here co-habits corns, not all of them. Nobody have problems with snakes, only mature males were kept solitary. Im not trying to make this sound ok or right thing to do, i just talk about experience that our breeders and keepers have here.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #82
Weda737
Weda's 2 cents. First of all, I typically do not cohab but until I get moved in about a month I'm keeping a pair of adult breeding sized corns together, my male I raised from a baby, 7 yrs old. And a 3 year old 300+g female I hatched out myself. They are separated when fed and left apart until that crazy feeding response calms down and they both just want to curl up and digest. They have only been together a couple months and will be separated again when I get moved. I just don't want you guys to think I'm hiding anything. But here's my little fun fact, I used to breed betta fish and in one of the books I read another breeder raised their betta fry with guppy fry and noticed a big difference in the growth of those bettas compared to fish raised alone. Not that I condone cohabbing, but I read a few pages back something about size difference and it just made me think of it. I'm full of random thoughts. I personally set my babies up in tubs separated as quick as they come out of their eggs.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #83
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by kells View Post
i think that vivarium is a better option for snake than small racks, it is interesting how in my country people judge keeping snakes in the racks, and on the other hand, keeping them in that way is aceptable in your country, i can ashure you that nobody in our forums and among snake keepers that i know, didnt have any problem with co-habitated corns. Is it because they kept in big vivariums with lots of hiding and klimbing spots, or just pure luck, i really dont know. I have female ball python , 3 years old, she was my first snake, i didnt have corns until few weeks , but all breeders here co-habits corns, not all of them. Nobody have problems with snakes, only mature males were kept solitary. Im not trying to make this sound ok or right thing to do, i just talk about experience that our breeders and keepers have here.
You are not going to listen to anyone, so do what you want. How big is your viv?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #84
kells
Quote:
She put her ball sometimes with corns, i would do something like that with my snakes, my ball is in her own terrarium, in europe, it is custom to co-habits the corns, same sex pairs or group of females in large enclousure, other species are housed on their own, but corns are often co-habiting
sorry, i must corect myself, i aimed to write that i would not do something like that to my snakes- i didnt realize that before

Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #85
MegF.
I'm curious as to why someone thinks that cornsnakes are okay to cohabitate and other species are not. I live in South Carolina where cornsnakes are found....I have not found one species of snake-corns included-that were found together. I always found one snake at a time. For the most part there are no species of snake that lives together. Rattlesnakes may den up together (and that's not all species) in fall in order to make the most of a den site in cold weather but soon disperse once they come out of hibernation. Garters gather together in huge numbers for breeding but once it's over, they are on their own. It is not natural for snakes to live together and before someone pipes in with it's not natural to keep them in a cage either...you are correct...but why create that added stress of not only caging but keeping cage mates that are neither wanted nor desired. And..when you say same sex, I could probably find a few hundred posts without even working at it, about accidental breedings by "same sex" snakes. Two males together are asking for fights as well..especially if you have females in the room.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #86
kells
Corn vivarium is L-1m, W-50cm , H- 80 cm , they are young and small , if they stay together, they will get much bigger, because i love animal housing to look nice, with wood, some plants and glass, so i could see them when they are not in hide spots

Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #87
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegF. View Post
I'm curious as to why someone thinks that cornsnakes are okay to cohabitate and other species are not. I live in South Carolina where cornsnakes are found....I have not found one species of snake-corns included-that were found together. I always found one snake at a time. For the most part there are no species of snake that lives together. Rattlesnakes may den up together (and that's not all species) in fall in order to make the most of a den site in cold weather but soon disperse once they come out of hibernation. Garters gather together in huge numbers for breeding but once it's over, they are on their own. It is not natural for snakes to live together and before someone pipes in with it's not natural to keep them in a cage either...you are correct...but why create that added stress of not only caging but keeping cage mates that are neither wanted nor desired. And..when you say same sex, I could probably find a few hundred posts without even working at it, about accidental breedings by "same sex" snakes. Two males together are asking for fights as well..especially if you have females in the room.

I would love to know the answer to that as well. Why do some people think that cornsnakes ok to co hab while other snakes aren't?

And I know all about accidental breedings by "same sex" snakes kept together. I have a dead female to show for it too......

Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #88
kells
I dont know, i just wrote that im first time corn owner, im not zoologist, i know that people here keeps corns together, females mainly, and i mean females, i didnt hear that female can make other female pregnent, death female is result of missexing i supose

Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #89
starsevol
Quote:
I dont know, i just wrote that im first time corn owner, im not zoologist, i know that people here keeps corns together, females mainly, and i mean females, i didnt hear that female can make other female pregnent, death female is result of missexing i supose
Well yes they were mis sexed, but if they were not kept together that female would not be dead.

And corns are just like other snakes. They do not gather together in nature, and they should not be kept together in captivity. It is not natural for them.

Why do people over there think that corns are not like other snakes and can be kept together when it is not true?

Old 09-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #90
AliCat37
Young and small = worse problems than adults cohabbed. That cage is about a good enough size for a single adult corn.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google