CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Killing mice

Old 06-26-2002, 10:20 AM   #11
Celeste
*sigh*Im sorry! im not looking 4 a fight either. the thing that ticked me off was the comment "but im not above hitting them over the head, especially the ones who bite" somehow that just creeped me out. it wasnt the bopping method i was trying to condemn - it was the suffocation. although bopping doesnt sound pleasent, it was, once again, the suffocation that bothered me. i never disagreed with CO2...in fact i think its better 4 the mice. it was the C02 and air-sucking canisters i was trying to uphold, not the bopping or the suffocation. (the only reason i mentioned feeding live was because its the natural way)

Old 06-26-2002, 10:26 AM   #12
Celeste
okay. deep breaths *im just in "animal rights mode" thats all...im not this argumentative all the time i swear

Old 06-26-2002, 10:29 AM   #13
Celeste
okay. deep breaths *im just in "animal rights mode" thats all...im not this argumentative all the time i swear it just really ticks me off is all, so if anyone gets annoyed by animal rights activists just tell me 2 shut up and ill try 2 calm down....

Old 06-26-2002, 02:34 PM   #14
SilverTongue
DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU NOT TO EXPRESS YOUR FEELINGS! THAT IS YOUR RIGHT!

Then again do not expect anyone to change their habits to fit your feelings. that is their right.

If if were not for animal rights activists there would be no buffilo, whales, and wolves. There are about 100, 000 + species who could have used a animal rights activist or two a bit earlier.

Thanks to animal rights activists animals are not alloud to be harmed in movies anymore. Most movies made before the 60s died as a result of some silly azz stunt the director wanted in his movie. So dont ever knock your self or someone else who is an animal rights activist.

Remember arguing gets us nowhere. No one listenings to arguments.

Perhaps you (and mean any of you) can find a safer, painless and quicker death for these mice. That would sureley mean something.

That is just my 2cp worth

Old 06-26-2002, 02:58 PM   #15
Alicia
We need to get this thread back on track

Here is a site that may be able to answer your questions:
http://www.anapsid.org/prekill.html

Good luck with raising your own, I can't stand the smell of the mice so I use RodentPro.com

Alicia

Old 06-26-2002, 04:12 PM   #16
CornCrazy
Quote:
Originally posted by Celeste
i urge u 2 chemically inject them...
I work for a vet, and I strongly advise against chemical injection as a way to euthanize the mice! Let me use the example of rat/mouse poison...if a cat eats a mouse that died due to ingesting poison, then the cat is at risk of bleeding to death, too. That's what rat poison does...makes them bleed internally. Anyway, the same applies to any chemical euthanasia...you would be putting your snake at risk.

Also, I tried the freezing thing and it takes much longer than suffocation! I think dry ice is the best option, but anything that is quick will work!

Old 06-26-2002, 04:42 PM   #17
jim
suffocation..

just a thought about carbon dioxide/carbon monoxide poisoning for the people who seem not to understand the process. first it is pretty much the same thing. COč is an unstable compound and will readily bond with free oxygen molecules forming COČ---- breathe a mixture of this for long enough and you die. (don't sit in a running car in a closed garage) carbon monoxide poisoning is the same thing as carbon dioxide (dry ice) poisoning it just takes an extra step. the symptoms of COČ poisoning in humans are dry mouth, impaired judgement, euphoria, blurred vision, followed by unconsciousness and eventually death. it is not a painful thing- you get happy, then stupid, then fall asleep, then die. i ASSUME that this is pretty much the same for mice. i don't think the means for a quicker, more painless death than this are readily available without a lethal injection of some type of neurotoxin that i wouldn't want going down my snakes gullet. well,i'm off to work so have a good day/night everyone... ---jim

Old 06-26-2002, 07:18 PM   #18
pinatamonkey
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverTongue
If if were not for animal rights activists there would be no buffilo, whales, and wolves. There are about 100, 000 + species who could have used a animal rights activist or two a bit earlier.

Thanks to animal rights activists animals are not alloud to be harmed in movies anymore. Most movies made before the 60s died as a result of some silly azz stunt the director wanted in his movie. So dont ever knock your self or someone else who is an animal rights activist.
And it is animal rights activists that are campaigning to ban the keeping of reptiles and other pets. I much prefer animal welfare myself. There is a big difference between the two. I recommend reading this page.

I think CO2 is the best method - especially if you have large numbers to "dispatch". The only animal that it might be OK just to freeze is newborn mouse pinks. They are so small it doesn't take long, but I still prefer CO2. With chemical injection you'd probably wind up killing your snake.

Old 06-26-2002, 07:56 PM   #19
DustinWaller
Umm i have pet mice,and i have feelings for all animals. If i didnt have a heart for the mouse i wouldnt want to kill them the fastest way now would i. I could just starve them to death culdnt i.I mean if i didnt care about animals sure i could do that. Freezing is not good. It explodes the cells and its probly the most inhumane way to kill the mice. And celeste plz get your mind off of feeding live Just look at this link. If you want your snake to look like this go ahead,go rigt ahead and feed live. for some reason the link isnt workin on my net today. i hate viruses

http://www.redtailboa.net/modules.ph...rticle&sid=383

Dustin

Old 06-26-2002, 08:22 PM   #20
SilverTongue
the link doesnt work for me either

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google