CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

are you still feeding your snake mice & rats ???
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 02:20 PM   #41
Hurley
I'll also throw in here that there is a spontaneous skin rupture condition in snakes caused by people feeding prey items that have not eaten recently prior to feeding. It's caused by a lack of vitamin C from the gut contents of rodents. It is recommended to feed rodents that have eaten recently for full benefit of the vitamins contained within. Although many snakes produce enough vitamin C on their own to make up for the lack, many individuals do not and rely on the prey supplying it for them.

As to the condition, generally what is seen is the neck skin tears open longitudianally down the length as the snake ingests a food item and stretches the skin. This is one of the dangers of feeding fasted mice, let alone the loss of other nutrients.

(For a reference: Page 95-96 of the SACR Reptiles and Amphibians by Frye and Williams - great picture in there, also noted in the BSAVA Manual of Reptiles, 2nd ed. by Dirling and Raiti)

In regards to pinkies, also remember that that milk band contains the majority of the calcium content of the pink. I have not seen diarrhea or regurge in response to eating a pinky with a large milk band and actually I select for the ones that are full for prey items.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #42
luvofthechase
Now there's some interesting data. I had no idea about using fasted meals, all i know is about %40 of my frozen pinks have round, milk filled tummies.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #43
Vinman
hey

IF you think that a baby corn is going to go into a moues nest kill the mother and eat her babies or did you think that the mother mouse wouldent mind the snake taking one of babies. In the wild baby corns spend most of the time in the trees the hide under lose bark and it is a known fact a baby corn diet is made up of lizards not mice.YES I read in a reptile mag some years back that the lactoss in mouse milk is not good for snakes nobody said to keep the mice out for a hole day just afew hours just so the pink can diegest the milk

Old 02-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #44
luvofthechase
no, but the mother mouse will leave the nest to go look for food herself...... quote your source.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #45
Vinman
Thumbs up Iwant to make one thing clear

I hate to write , my spelling is bad so I have to chose words that I can spell or some what spell. So dont think I am nasty or rude I trying to do the best I can with the limited words that I can use sory If this comes the wrong way I started this thred to help not hurt thanx Princes for the privet message.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #46
Vinman
dude

what does that do for the snake in the trees and the baby corns found in the wild have lizards in there bellys this is documented not mice if it happnes it is very rare in the wild

Old 02-21-2005, 02:53 PM   #47
luvofthechase
i'm not trying to indicate that youre nessissarily WRONG, i think we may both have a valid point. However i do like to know where info comes from. as well, if you read that some years ago, it may have been proven wrong since then.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:59 PM   #48
Vinman
ok

true not to my knowlage If anybody knows about this subjict please inform us of the truth with some data to back it up so there is no problems

Old 02-21-2005, 04:08 PM   #49
luvofthechase
You are running around touting this as TRUTH, when you dont even have a source to back it up, then have the nerve to say you are right untill someone PROVES you are wrong?

Old 02-21-2005, 04:12 PM   #50
starwarsdad
I am not trying to be mean or a jerk, just helpful. If you use Internet Explorer, try out IESpell. It is a good spell checker that works well on form fields (like those here). For Firefox, try out Spellbound.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread