CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Introducing A New Adult Corn to My Current Adult Corn

Old 11-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #11
Billybobob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
I was just thinking of the corn:human cannibalism analogy the other day, but I found that it didn't quite work. The chances of a hatchling eating another hatchling are astronomically greater than the chances of a toddler eating a toddler. And adult corns lack the societal taboos against cannibalism that most human cultures have developed. In all but the most extreme circumstances, we have access to alternate food sources. Almost all human cannibalism involves ritual. A snake hatches out as a hungry bio-robot programmed to eat. If its tastes don't discriminate against reptiles, the nearest sister might do. There may be a nearby nest of field mouse pinkies, but the hatchling doesn't know this. There may be an f/t pinky only a few hours away, but the hungry captive corn doesn't know this either.
Good point, but the actions of a few do not give reason to classify all by thous actions. Some corns eat other corns but I would not say that all corns are cannibals because the bulk of corns are not. There are some corns that eat insects but that in no way means that all corns eat insects. King snakes on the other hand are cannibals they will actually hunt other snakes but corns in general do not show this trait. Yes the corn human analogy was not the best to use but it is what I thought of as I was making my post and still gets the general point across.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 PM   #12
Billybobob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preita
Does anyone ever notice that the poster's of these threads never comes back?

Once a month we should just pick a hot topic thread and let people fight, at least that would be new ideas than this chewed up fight.
I don't think that any one that has posted is "fighting" we are all just showing our point of view. The kind of post you just made is normally what causes arguments to start.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:55 PM   #13
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobob
I don't think that any one that has posted is "fighting" we are all just showing our point of view. The kind of post you just made is normally what causes arguments to start.
My thoughts exactly, Billybobob.

Keep in mind that I kept groups of corns communally for many years, with mixed sizes in the groups, and I never once saw an incident of cannibalism. Male combat? Yeah. Dangerously early breeding for skinny females? Yeah. Signs of stress in the groups? Yes. But no cannibalism.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:21 PM   #14
Preita
[quote=Billybobob]I don't think that any one that has posted is "fighting" we are all just showing our point of view.QUOTE]

I wasn't saying that anyone in this post was fighting, but every month or so the same thing is posted and the same people rise to the challange of trying to get their point across.

I think mulitpul points of views are great. And I dont know if all corns have it in them to be cannibles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobob
The kind of post you just made is normally what causes arguments to start.
I've looked back on past posts and don't necessarily see that is true, but I will admit that my post was sarcastic. I'm sorry if that offended anyone.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
snake_eyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preita
grrrrrrr and the hounds have been unleased

Does anyone ever notice that the poster's of these threads never comes back?

Once a month we should just pick a hot topic thread and let people fight, at least that would be new ideas than this chewed up fight.

Just my .02

uhmm... im back...

Old 11-28-2005, 06:36 AM   #16
JTGoff69
I recently had my cat jump on top of one of my Kritter Cages (a 20L with a sliding/locking mesh top) and completely rip the mesh out. I had no other choice than to put my snow female in with my butter female overnight. Unfortunately, this turned into a week, when no one within an hrs drive had 20L tough tops in stock. Feeding day was in the midst of this time, so of course they were separated in tubs for feeding, and I waited a good hour after they ate to reintroduce them back in the viv. Though everything went well, and they even slept curled together in the same hide, I was a nervous wreck the entire week. Every time I walked by, I had to check and see where they each were to make sure everything was ok. And thank goodness the stress of moving to a new viv and cohabitating did not induce a regurge, as I wouldn't have known who did it and would have had to treat both for it. Just my .02, but I would never keep them together if I hadn't been forced to. If you have the means for a second snake, make sure you have the means for a second viv.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 PM   #17
Specter_Blue
Beware.... Im what you may call a pre-newbie as I just decided today that I am going to buy a corn after this semester is over(the Kisatchie really caught my eye, if anyone has a similar affinity). anway, my fiancee fell inlove with the mottled sunglow pattern. even tho there are variations of all of em, i figured the two were a little too different to make us both happy with 1 snake ;-). anyway, it didnt take long to figure out cohabitation is a bad idea (from reading ur posts). my question is, what about the pet stores? I was in a store earlier today that specializes in reptiles, and the guy seemed as knowledgable about them as i could tell. he had all the hatchlings separate, but there was a cage that had 3 adult corns in it. he told me i would only have an issue with cohabitating kings (for obvious reasons...) anything to worry about with snakes that were previously cohabitated? or is it a no harm no foul kind of thing?

Old 05-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #18
Plissken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter_Blue
Beware.... Im what you may call a pre-newbie as I just decided today that I am going to buy a corn after this semester is over(the Kisatchie really caught my eye, if anyone has a similar affinity). anway, my fiancee fell inlove with the mottled sunglow pattern. even tho there are variations of all of em, i figured the two were a little too different to make us both happy with 1 snake ;-). anyway, it didnt take long to figure out cohabitation is a bad idea (from reading ur posts). my question is, what about the pet stores? I was in a store earlier today that specializes in reptiles, and the guy seemed as knowledgable about them as i could tell. he had all the hatchlings separate, but there was a cage that had 3 adult corns in it. he told me i would only have an issue with cohabitating kings (for obvious reasons...) anything to worry about with snakes that were previously cohabitated? or is it a no harm no foul kind of thing?
I help out in a reptile shop that also houses 3 corns together (and there's another tank above that one with 2 in it.) They've never had any problems, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it.

I would say that, in my personal opinion, you should never house any two snakes together, regardless of gender, species or background. Just because snakes have been housed together with no problems doesn't mean there never will be a problem.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #19
Specter_Blue
alright, cool. I was planning on getting a 55 gal tank for them, but i guess 2 20 gal would work too (as this is the size i hear most people recommending). one other question tho: many people say its best to start hatchlings in smaller tanks. why is that? in my mind, the critters ought to be running around with no walls (nature), so any size cage ought to be sufficient. I have a few other questions, but im gonna go read through the husbandry section before i ask too much....

Old 05-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #20
Plissken
This is because snakes can be upset by wide open spaces - they feel vulnerable and can't find somewhere to hide. If you do put a hatchling in a large tank, this will be okay so long as you provide lots of places for it to hide away.

Yes, a 20 gallon is the recommended minimum size, but if your snake gets large it might be an idea to go bigger.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google