CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Corns living together?? Yes or no?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #91
lenalenalena
My ultimate favorite picture gallery CS site:
http://www.snakepictures.co.uk/index.htm
This guy knows alot about corn snakes and he does quite a bit of cohabbing. With no problems...
Is this just a coincedence? (that all the pairs of snakes he put together live peacefully)

And you guys, please dont snap my head off for asking this. Just answer the question.
I am very curious about this topic and just want to know this.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:50 PM   #92
ArpeggioAngel
Just a note on the passing diseases portion of this thread...
Cornsnakes (heck from what I understand a lot of colubrid species) can carry crypto for years without any signs of it.
So just because you "think" your snakes are not sick, does not necessarily make it true. If one of them has crypto, and you choose to co-hab them, then the 2nd one is definately going to come down with it. And someday, when the signs show themselves, you will have no idea which snake it came from in the first place.
Crypto is deadly and uncurable so why would you want to risk exposing another snake to it by unnecessarily cohabitating them?
Just another example of "you may not see a problem, but the problem can exist". And there is just no good reason to risk the health of your snakes just because you want them to live together or think they like it.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #93
zwyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaisseM
Umm, if aggression is also part of the enviroment, then now that we've taken an animal from its home and moved it into a cage and is feed on a normal basis woudln't you imaging those aggressive behaviors are less likely to be seen?
I just want to clarify this point from before, when I had to leave the discussion.

When I said that aggression is partly "environmentally determined" that doesn't mean strictly the natural environment. Environment just means any surroundings. I wasn't saying that the natural environment (of Florida, for example) is what makes cornsnakes aggressive and that taking them out of the wild and into captivity is taking the aggression away. When you take something from the wild and begin breeding it in captivity, you aren't taking it out of THE environment...you are just changing the environment.

I don't really like being around a lot of people (I guess you could say I'm sort of solitary... ). Now, this aversion to groups of people is probably partially genetic and partially environmental. In this instance, just as with the example about aggression, I'm not referring to the strict definition of environment as it applies to the outdoors. Because whether it was sunny or cloudy during my childhood probably didn't play a big role in my aversion to groups of people. However, the home environment I grew up in would influence me. In this case, my older sisters pushing me around in toy cars and purposely wrecking me into things would be an environmental influence that would influence my aversion towards groups of people. The fact that I grew up in the country and wasn't around large groups of people regularly could have played a role. Again this would be an environmental influence because it is my surroundings, but it doesn't necessarily have to be referring directly to the outdoorsy/nature definition of environment.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:01 AM   #94
Joejr14
Three pages of this? Good god.

Let's start off with this website that was presented (www.snakpictures.co.uk) and some of the information, and remember that this guy knows a lot about corns as said by the OP:

Quote:
This guy knows alot about corn snakes and he does quite a bit of cohabbing. With no problems...
Funny, checking out his website I see this:

Quote:
here are around 200 pictures of my two corn snakes, Shaggy and Alice, now arranged into thirteen separate galleries.
So this is interesting---this guy obviously 'knows a lot about corn snakes' with his extensive background of two animals.

So probing into the website more I dig up this:

Quote:
Snake keeping - or herpetology to give it its proper name - has been a hobby of mine since I bought Shaggy, my first corn snake, a few years ago.
But then further down the page....

Quote:
But he told me I could have a 'starter-kit' for £45.00. (Remember, this was 1995 - a starter kit nowadays would be around £60.00).
That's interesting. I could have sworn this is 2007---and I highly doubt that this guy had his own 'snake pictures' website in 1997 or 1998. Soo...??

But that's fine, perhaps it was just an error. I'll search around some more. And we come to the cohabitation comment under the 'questions' portion of this website.

Quote:
Can I keep corn snakes together? Like a breeding pair all year round? Or maybe even a few females and one male? Yes, you can keep a pair together all the time no problem - so long as they are roughly the same size... If you put a hatchling in with a full size adult, the hatchling would get eaten. Putting more than 3 together can be awkward - you'd need a really big vivarium. Say you had 6 snakes, 4 females and 2 males, then you'd be best off with 2 vivaria, with one male and two females in each. Two or more males together in springtime (whether females are around or not) will possibly get a bit argumentative until the dominant one is established. But other than that, corn snakes do get on together pretty well. They are mostly fairly friendly, mild mannered creatures - but I suppose, as in everything, there is bound to be the odd one or two with a bad attitude.
Well I'm sure glad he's giving us his expert advice on keeping his two snakes together. Gosh, I guess that means if I visit the Kennedy Space Center for a few hours I can be an astronaut, right?

Oh, and here's another charmer:

Quote:
How can you tell a boy snake from a girl snake??
In Corn Snakes it is quite difficult if not impossible to tell just by looking. There are some differences in the shape of the tail, but these are so slight that even experts find it is not easy to tell for sure.

The only real way of telling is to have the snake probed by an expert. This involves carefully inserting a steel rod in to the snake's vent and by feeling how far the probe can be inserted easily, then the sex can be determined. I should emphasize that this should only be carried out by someone experienced in this procedure, as serious harm can come to the snake if handled badly.
Quite difficult? Impossible? Hmm, I could have sworn that females tails tapered drastically after the vent and normally were much shorter than males tails---which do not taper directly after the vent and are usually much longer. Guess I should go sleep in a Holiday Inn Express.

So basically, this dude is a 'tard who has no business giving out advice when:

Quote:
So after thinking for a few days about what I was about to commit myself to, I decided to buy one! I was shown how to feed him, handle him and given instructions about how often to feed and water him. Thereafter I have been given all the advice I ever needed; the shop is even open on Sundays and I have a phone number I can ring anytime. I have taken my snake back there every so often, so that he may be given a onceover by the guy in the shop. It's reassuring to be told I'm doing things right - he's in the peak of health (the snake, I mean - I don't know about the guy in the shop).
Amazing how one can be given all the advice ever need in snake care after a few trips to the local pet store. What I find even more amazing is the fact that since he has been given all the advice he'll ever need---why does he need to call the pet shop and/or bring the snake in for a 'onceover' by the guy in the shop? A bit contradictory, isn't it?

Also it's pretty funny that when 'Alice', his female cornsnake, became gravid he separated her from the male? If cohabitation is fine and dandy, like he says, why separate them? Hmm.....

Old 09-25-2007, 01:06 AM   #95
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenalenalena
And you guys, please dont snap my head off for asking this. Just answer the question.
I am very curious about this topic and just want to know this.

Cohabitation is BAD!

Reasons to Cohab:

Nothing beneficial to the snake.
Owner gets to save money by purchasing one viv.

Reason not to cohab:
Parasite transmission
Disease transmission
Cannibalism
Stress
Egg Binding
Death

Boy, those reasons for cohabbing sure outweigh the negatives, eh?

How would you like to be forced to live with someone in a 10x10' room? You know, a room where there was only one bed, where only half of the room was heated....and you'd have to share a single faucet to drink water out of.

That sounds like a blast, doesn't it?

Old 09-25-2007, 01:24 AM   #96
kathylove
From many pages ago..."I read somewhere that kathy herself mad a mention that it is not horrible to house same sex together..."

Well, not exactly...

I did say that, in my opinion, under some very specialized conditions, in some special cases, there could be some merit - but with a lot of contraindications (such as not for new snakes or new keepers, for starters). Generally, I vote NO. I have written out some really long and detailed answers about my experience and feelings on the subject in some of the previous threads, and on the FAQs, so I won't reiterate it all here again. They are posted in other places if anyone cares to read it.

I didn't read this whole thread, only skimmed it. I can't say that there is much (if anything) I haven't seen in other previous threads. Possibly the part about whether we are breeding corns for a social environment (I'm not). I can't remember whether that was discussed previously or not.

I can't add anything new that I haven't written before, and would not have participated at all except my name was mentioned, so I wanted to be sure my position is clear.

That's about all I can think of on the subject.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 AM   #97
Jillie
Please dont think I am going against any of the experts here as I am only a newbie when it comes to owning snakes. My one question is you say that they dont like being housed together and actually find it quite stressful. Whenever I put my two snakes together in a viv with two hides on the warm side two hides on the cool side (identical hides) they always always within five minutes end up cuddled up together under the same hide, or in the corner. I let them out on my bed for a little slither about and when they have had enougth they both curl up together.(i always put a hide on the bed and a warm flannel as a heat source if they get cold) Once they stop slithering about I put them straight back but they always seem to go together. Has I said I am not going against what anyone says was just pointing out what my experiences are.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:08 AM   #98
diamondlil
I got quoted!
Jillie, your snakes are most likely choosing to be in the same place because it's the most secure or the right temperature, rather than showing a desire to be together

Old 09-25-2007, 07:25 AM   #99
Jay@PJCReptiles
NO!!! Do a search and you will see a ton of posts just like yours that got the same replies as yours. DO NOT COHABITATE
Jay

Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #100
suecornish
Maybe one solution to this would be when everyone logged on the first page of the site they would see information on cohabitation. Like others, I am surprised that this question comes up that often. It seems that European snake owners co-hab more than American snake owners. Who knows why (nope, you all don't have to answer that)?

I currently have three snakes as you can see. All housed separately. I know if I put Gaia in with Smokey she MIGHT get eaten but then Smokey is so finicky that maybe not - I am not taking the chance. I would not house Queenie with Smokey - Smokey is longer but Queenie is fatter - because Queenie is a King Snake and is "wired" to eat other snakes. Would she eat Smokey, I don't know - I am not taking the chance. The two babies on walk-about were housed separately.

Now, in a few weeks I am getting a male and female Bolivian Short Tail boas. I am told they can be housed together as long as they are feed in separate bins. Apparently, from what I have read, the females don't breed until they are around 5 years old so that gives me 2+ years to get them in separate housing. So I will be cohabbing the boas until I can give them the type of housing they should have but you can bet that I will be watching them closely and getting them in their own enclosures within the next two years.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google