CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Corns living together?? Yes or no?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #61
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang
Title of thread: "Corns living together yes or no?"

Well Messiah, you must be a computer psychoanalist, telling us how we should speak. The original question required a "yes or no" answer. She further went on and ask for opinion, Wikipedia defines opinion as:An opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something. It is an assessment, judgment or evaluation of something. An opinion is not a fact, because opinions are either not falsifiable, or the opinion has not been proven or verified. If it later becomes proven or verified, it is no longer an opinion, but a fact.

I do believe that is exactly what we did give our statement "yes or no" and then gave our opinions about that answer. So maybe you should lead us all in the direction you want us to go, please teach us how to speak on this forum as I hang on every word.

Giving your opinion is fine, matter of fact like you stated it's what the TS wanted, however when you're opinion turns into facts that are illustrated in a negative manner to try and scare the other person into thinking your way, it goes beyond opinion....

Don't believe me? For a minute pretend you know nothing about corn snakes and read some of the threads on this site where people ask if they should house two snakes together....... Its been stated many times by many people thats its not the arguement about whither to keep two snakes housed togethers, its the headed exchanges between people just "trying" to educate others on the fallacy of their thinking and those being educated that turns it ugly.

Again i think Roy said it best, he wouldn't keep $1,000 corn snakes together (he doesn't keep the cheaper ones either) but only a fool would take that chance with soo much money invested

Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #62
zwyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaisseM
I see your point, but an extreme like DUI and cohabitating don't work as much
Quote:
Originally Posted by An earlier quote by HaisseM
you mean like real life, how some kids become aggressive and start beating up on their spouse??
So, drawing a parallel between DUI and cohabitation is too far-fetched, but domestic abuse is fair game? :rollseyes:

Quote:
What i'm saying is cornsnakes have been breed long enough that the "SOLITARY" nature we speak so highly of should be lessened to a larger degree than people give credit.
No. ONLY if a propensity towards solitary living is genetic and ONLY if people selectively breed snakes that are cohabitation tolerant. Living in close contact with people, who smell, sound and feel differently from snakes is NOT the same thing as living in close contact with other snakes. This argument has no basis. You are assuming that simply because cornsnakes have been in close contact with PEOPLE that their desire to be separate from other SNAKES has been bred out of them. :rollseyes:

Quote:
Can you breed two aggressive wolves? If you answer no then over time you would get more docile wolfs (right?)
First of all, sure you can. Just because two animals have a tendency to be aggressive doesn't mean that they are that way 100% of the time and it doesn't mean that they won't breed if given the opportunity. Obviously, dogs raised for dogfighting are successfully bred and they are aggressive.
Secondly, inheritance doesn't require that both parents express a trait. In that case, if you had an aggressive male mating with a subordinate female, you wouldn't be surprised to see aggressive offspring. But this is assuming that aggression is completely genetic, which I would stake pretty much everything I own and ever will own on the fact that it is environmentally determined as much as genetically.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #63
Lennycorn
The first time this question was asked on this forum was March 29, 2002.
The Archives....a beautiful thing, shame it's not highlighted more.
But this question is tiresome for most active members. So you will receive a lackluster responce.
My responce....No, simple as that, thank you.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #64
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek
Nope. For me, it means that there are inherent risks to cohabbing snakes/riding a motorcycle/driving drunk.

The legalities of driving drunk aside, it's up to the individual to make a decision based on those risks. If you get a cannibalization/do a face plant/kill yourself and/or others, well, that's the game you entered into. Don't look for sympathy or come running to a forum with "OMG OMG MY SANKE LAYD EGGZ WUT DO I DO?", and expect everyone to come running to your aid.

Weigh the risks, and come to your own informed decision. Just try not to evangelize those who have made the same considerations and have come to a different informed decision than you.

regards,
jazz

actually I find your statement and one other kinda weird (not as an insult to you, let me explain) I by no means think cohabing is the way to go for everyone and I think experience/common sense/luck plays a factor on why i've been able to do it without a problem, but others hold steadfast that it is wrong and should not be done under 99.9% of circumstances

the part i find weird, is I feel like i'm the only one open to new ideas about the subject matter yet you say i'm holding strong about cohabing

Old 09-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #65
zwyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennycorn
The Archives....a beautiful thing, shame it's not highlighted more.
You know back when I created the "New Users Guide" and Search Tutorial, I had an idea that I believe (and still do believe) would help with this type of thing in particular.

Some forums are set-up so that members have to view a certain page/thread before they are able to use the rest of the forum or see the topics. If something like that could be implemented here: a page that had direct links to good threads on say Cohabitation (novel idea, I know), substrate, feeding, etc...then maybe there wouldn't be quite as many problems I know it wouldn't eliminate the problems. Maybe new users could be forced to do one search before creating their first thread. Maybe we could rig an electrical shock to be sent through their keyboard if they type the letters c-o-h-a-b-i-t-a-t-i-o-n all at in one string.
But seriously, there HAS to be something that can be done. It seems like this topic alone has come up several times in the last couple weeks.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #66
HaisseM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwyatt
No. ONLY if a propensity towards solitary living is genetic and ONLY if people selectively breed snakes that are cohabitation tolerant. Living in close contact with people, who smell, sound and feel differently from snakes is NOT the same thing as living in close contact with other snakes. This argument has no basis. You are assuming that simply because cornsnakes have been in close contact with PEOPLE that their desire to be separate from other SNAKES has been bred out of them. :rollseyes:
No my argument is over time, we've taken away the animals natural instinct to be a solitary creature since hatchling upon hatchling has been taken out of nature and introduced to people held (around others) more than it would have in the wild

Quote:
First of all, sure you can. Just because two animals have a tendency to be aggressive doesn't mean that they are that way 100% of the time and it doesn't mean that they won't breed if given the opportunity. Obviously, dogs raised for dogfighting are successfully bred and they are aggressive.
Secondly, inheritance doesn't require that both parents express a trait. In that case, if you had an aggressive male mating with a subordinate female, you wouldn't be surprised to see aggressive offspring. But this is assuming that aggression is completely genetic, which I would stake pretty much everything I own and ever will own on the fact that it is environmentally determined as much as genetically.
Umm, if aggression is also part of the enviroment, then now that we've taken an animal from its home and moved it into a cage and is feed on a normal basis woudln't you imaging those aggressive behaviors are less likely to be seen?

Also I think I touched on it in a previous post, part of the reason my snakes have been ok in their situation is they've been raised that way

i won't touch your 1st objection because I believe it is not going to lead anywhere but a destructive path

Old 09-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #67
jazzgeek
Quote:
the part i find weird, is I feel like i'm the only one open to new ideas about the subject matter yet you say i'm holding strong about cohabing
NOWHERE did I assert that you were "holding strong".

You're taking this waaaaaay too personally. The person I'm directing my original point of "weigh the risks, and if it doesn't work out for you, don't come running to us" is, was, and ever shall be a generic "anyone".

That applies equally as well to my "don't try to evangelize anyone who has come to their own informed decision" point.

Finally, I find it to be a logical fallacy to imply that, since you do something differently than I do, you're the one who is "open to new ideas".

regards,
jazz

regards,
jazz

Old 09-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #68
jazzgeek
And again I say:

regards,
jazz

Old 09-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #69
HaisseM
Quote:
You know back when I created the "New Users Guide" and Search Tutorial, I had an idea that I believe (and still do believe) would help with this type of thing in particular.

Some forums are set-up so that members have to view a certain page/thread before they are able to use the rest of the forum or see the topics. If something like that could be implemented here: a page that had direct links to good threads on say Cohabitation (novel idea, I know), substrate, feeding, etc...then maybe there wouldn't be quite as many problems I know it wouldn't eliminate the problems. Maybe new users could be forced to do one search before creating their first thread. Maybe we could rig an electrical shock to be sent through their keyboard if they type the letters c-o-h-a-b-i-t-a-t-i-o-n all at in one string.
But seriously, there HAS to be something that can be done. It seems like this topic alone has come up several times in the last couple weeks.

maybe it has come up because there is no 100% answer and it still leavers questions to be answered. And if you check out my 1st post about the sex of snakes, you'll see someone asked me to search the issues on cohabing, which I did and still had questions about which i've now heard two different repsonses about.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #70
susang
Quote:
actually I find your statement and one other kinda weird (not as an insult to you, let me explain) I by no means think cohabing is the way to go for everyone and I think experience/common sense/luck plays a factor on why i've been able to do it without a problem, but others hold steadfast that it is wrong and should not be done under 99.9% of circumstances

You know Messiah, you are trying my patience no where did anyone say 99.9% in fact the number I used was 71% from a poll done on this forum. If we were all closed minded as you say, there would be no new morphs. I don't co-hab because I lost a snake doing it, so I have experience in it. If I can recommend to someone the pitfalls and save them from loosing a snake I will. If you want to tell them to try go ahead.
You are playing a game of symantics here many of us have tried with nothing good coming out of, I guess we have no common sense. Some under good conditions do and are successful. What we say here is "bad idea and this is why," I suppose we could tell about the people for whom it works and say you decide, but then there would someone tellings us how wrong we are and how negative we are.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google