CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Could my Snake be Dying???

Old 09-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
COerriccaRN
Could my Snake be Dying???

My Amel, Sunny has started doing some...odd...things lately.

He used to stay in his hide 24/7. He only came out at night and would run back into his hide if I moved or anything.

Now, he sits in one spot out in the middle of his viv. In his viv, I have one hide and one water bowl. He sits against the glass wall right in the middle of the two ALL THE TIME. Literally, he never leaves. Sometimes I will think he is dead because he will be in the same position for days at a time, but he never is. Sometime she will have his head squished up to the glass and sometimes he will just be curled up. I have no clue why he does this and does not stay in the hide or anything. Also, he never moves when I walk by. I can jump and run around my whole room and he just sits there like nothing is bothering him. Its almost like he is sick, but he doesn't really show any other signs of being sick

I don't provide my snakes any heat/coolness at all so he isn't trying to get into the warmest spot.

My concern is that he is dying, or on that path. My other two snakes come out of their hides to lay in the tree's and such, but they move around. They don't stay in the same spot for days...

Could Sunny be sick and/or dying?????? This is VERY odd and disturbing behavior from a Corn Snake...

Old 09-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
glenhead
Well, no guarantees, of course, but we have two or three who do just that every once in a while, and they're fine. Dunno what's going on in those little grain-of-rice brains of theirs...

Old 09-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
COerriccaRN
[quote]Well, no guarantees, of course, but we have two or three who do just that every once in a while, and they're fine. Dunno what's going on in those little grain-of-rice brains of theirs.../QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry if he did this occasionally, but he does it ALL THE TIME. 24/7. He is always in that spot in the bald open, pressed against the glass.

I guess if I had a brain the size of a grain of rice, I would do some weird things to.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
diamondlil
Is he eating, pooping, growing?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
glenhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
<snip>I wouldn't worry if he did this occasionally, but he does it ALL THE TIME. 24/7. He is always in that spot in the bald open, pressed against the glass.
That's what I meant. We have a hypo lavender female who spent nearly a week coiled up at the front of her aquarium, tilted at about a 60-degree angle, with the top of her head smashed against the glass, with a repeat performance a while later. We also have an amel stripe who wads himself into a pancake and hunkers down at the front of his Critter Keeper, and doesn't shift for days. They be peculiar beasties, they do!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
COerriccaRN
[quote]Is he eating, pooping, growing?/QUOTE]

Not growing, pooping and eating fine.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
danielle
Maybe he wants some heat? When their digesting they don't mov for 2 days or so because they are using their energy to digest their meal and heat speeds this process hence why they seek it out in the wild. With no heat and a feeding schdule of evry 5-7 days he may be always digesting which would make him sluggish. PS- If he's shedding he's growing

Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
COerriccaRN
Quote:
Maybe he wants some heat? When their digesting they don't mov for 2 days or so because they are using their energy to digest their meal and heat speeds this process hence why they seek it out in the wild. With no heat and a feeding schdule of evry 5-7 days he may be always digesting which would make him sluggish. PS- If he's shedding he's growing
He hasn't shed yet since I have had him =( Also, my other snakes don't have heat and haven't for a long time. They are VERY active. I feed them every 7 days or so.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:34 AM   #9
marike
Hello,
have you ever had his poop analysed? Maybe he`s got some kind of parasite that uses up all the nutrients coming from the food. Not growing is not a good sign.
The best way to be sure your snake is ok, is to bring him to a vet and let them take samples that can be analysed for parasites and bacteria.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #10
snakewispera snr
If you are not providing heat, it's a safe bet to say all of the viv is the same temp....
So no temp gradient.....
What are the temps in the viv?
And if it's eating fine it may be growing and you just haven't noticed it yet..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google